Wolfenstein 3D

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by outz, Mar 25, 2009.

1. outz macrumors 6502

Didn't see a thread about this... Or I missed it. It's on the appstore now, and it's released by ID software. I would post a link but I'm on my iPhone.

It was $5 or so... Bought it mainly in hopes they would officially port quake too.

2. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I wish I could buy it... Unfortunately the Brazillian App Store doesn't have a games section (crappy laws/requirements)

3. return7 macrumors 6502

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Amazing! Donaloading it right now, can't wait to play :)

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Awesome. Before I lay down the cash how are the controls?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

This game rocks!

Perfect for the iPhone as there's no looking up and down, many different control layouts though I'm really getting the hang of the default setting and it's a full port - I can still remember where some of the secret passages are after what? 14? 15 years?

It's smooth as silk to play and there's no load times between levels, they just keep coming.

And for A$5.99 it was a damned good price.

Top notch effort.

7. icedmocha macrumors regular

8. icedmocha macrumors regular

Can you register for the US store?

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I can remember way back when I would play this with my cousin and his dad would always tell us not to kill the dogs. He was a K-9 cop at the time. This is the best $5 I've spent on the App Store.

10. outz thread starter macrumors 6502

this is definitely a top notch app... only issue i have is i am unable to switch weapons.

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's been left out for simplicity. John Carmack explains in the development notes here. He also says Doom is coming! :)

12. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

I really like how it launches almost instantly. I can pick it up and play it really easily which I like in iPhone games.

13. outz thread starter macrumors 6502

aaah, thanks for clarifying. i seriously hope they port quake too.

absolutely! it doesn't have a stupid 10 second video clip that it forces you to watch every... single... time...

14. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Me too!:D What a perfect port, love the controls.

15. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hopefully they will release Spear of Destiny too!

Doom, Doom II, Final Doom and Quake, and maybe even Quake II are given.

16. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

All guaranteed sales with me if they do! :)

17. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I bought it last night and am thoroughly enjoying it... I only have one gripe.
    In "advanced" control mode where you additionally have strafe buttons, it's too easy to slide to either side while trying to simply move forward. It takes too much precision to select just one button. Also, the fire button is in the top right, when it should probably be all over in the center for easy access.

18. takenthesmeg macrumors member

This was the best game ever when it came out. First decent fps i ever played. I used to live to hear those whistles at the end of each stage

I think it went:

1) All enemies killed
    2) Collected all treasure
    3) Found all secret passages

I have been playing it for the last two minutes. I have so say: excellent port :D

19. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

This app brings back memories all right. For those on the fence, it's the real deal. The blue stone walls with the banners, the Nazi sounds when a baddie is in the room, the secret passages, it's all there.

I too wish the game allowed you to switch weapons. Otherwise it's great and well worth the price. For those who haven't played, it's a great game. For those who played years ago on their x386, it's a time warp into the past.

20. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

21. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

I have an account in the US Store. But no credit card because it requires an US billing address (which I don't have)

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

OK downloading now. You guys better not have let me down with your glowing reviews.....

23. icedmocha macrumors regular

COuldn't you pick up a pre-pay debit card, and register that? Address should not matter with that so, so enter a us address for the card.

24. koollectablz macrumors 6502

I found the best and quickest way was to buy an itunes US gift card code from a reputable ebay seller and choose that as the payment option.

For the US address I used a Florida apple store address.

I have been to Florida (fantastic place - full of turtles and alligators and such like, best holiday ever!) so it makes sense in my head.

Oh and brilliant port BTW. Really looking forward to DOOM! Control system is extremely well implemented as well, whereas I found the NES emmulator controls very awkward this one ticks all the boxes.

25. icedmocha macrumors regular

What control situation are you using? I like the various options, but am still finding my way. Currently option two, with turn sensitivity at 40%.