Woman crashes into salon, proceeds with appointment!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joeshell383, Nov 18, 2007.

1. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

SOLDOTNA, Alaska - A woman on her way to hair appointment crashed her car through the hair salon.

Della Miller, 73, crashed into Tina's Hair Pros' windows Wednesday, knocking one customer six feet across the room, Soldotna police officer Marvin Towle said.

The parking area in front of the salon was snow-covered.

Miranda Nelson, a stylist, said she was in the back room when she heard the crash.

"I thought a bomb had gone off," Nelson said.

Two large plate-glass windows were destroyed, walls were damaged, and the stonework front outside the salon was smashed, police said. Towle estimated damage to the building to be at least $15,000, and the car at $2,500 more.

Miller, who was not injured, was not cited for the crash.

She proceeded with her hair appointment.

SOURCE: Associated Press
    LINK: Story

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I have two friends that are from there. I'll have to let them know about this.:D

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

she must have really been desperate for that appointment.

women :rolleyes:

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

If the shop wasn't damaged enough to shut it down, then why not? What else are you going to do? Go home and fret over what just happened? Giving the shop a bit of business is the least she could have done.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it really depends on the damage i spose, if it was just a little tap (which it wasnt) then id be like meh.

but if she broke the whole door down and smashed all the windows then even i'd be a bit stressed and whatnot about what i had done.

6. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Hey, if she is anything like my grandmother, the hair appointment is one of the highlights of her week, and she wouldn't dream of letting it go.

I bet that provided for some good salon gossip!

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Further proof that weed and booze don't mix well.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hairdresser's appointment - highlights - I like it. :D

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well she was already there she might as well got her hair did :p

I wonder if she left a tip?

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1) There needs to be more than one test for drivers. Every 5-10 years seems good, and then every 2-4 once you hit 70.
    II) How the **** do you live in Alaska and not know how to drive in snow?

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I think you should have to retake the test only if need be, like if you're very accident prone. Seriously I don't know HOW some people even get their license, but in most cases, those people that can't drive DON'T have a license.

When I took my test I thought about how all these incredibly stupid people got their license, and I passed it with ease ;)

13. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Older people should not be allowed to drive without a driving test.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in our country any1 over 70 i think must take a driving test every coupla years to make sure that they are still suitable to drive. :)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wish the US did that. Here, you take the test once, and that's it. Meaning you can take your test and get your license at 16, and never, ever have to take the test again.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Even crazier is Arizona, where you don't even have to renew your license until you're 70 or so.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

wow serious?
    in aust you can get your "learner" licence at 16. you do a theory test and then if u pass taht u have to do 120hours of driving with a fully licenced driver (including 20hours night driving) max speed is 80kmph.
    then u go for a practical test to get ur P1's. if u pass u can drive 90kmph and u have that for a year.
    then u get ur P2's in which u can go 100kmph and have them for 2 years.
    then u can go for you "full" licence.
    so yea, pretty hectic. im currently on my P2's lol :).

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yup. Dead serious. In most states, you get your learners at 15 after taking a written test and can only drive with a licensed driver. There are, as far as I know, absolutely know restrictions on when you can drive, where you can drive, or how fast (just no exceeding the speed limit). You're supposed to drive for so many hours before you get your full license, but that's based on the honor system and I don't know anyone whose had to provide proof. Then at 16, you take a rather easy road test, get your full license and you're done. Theoretically, you can get your license at 15. Never, ever get behind the wheel of a car. Take your road test and miraculously pass your road test at 16 and be able to drive whenever you wanted without an adult. Scary, huh? The only restriction in Missouri once you get your full license is until you're 18 I believe, and you can't drive in the middle of the night. It's actually a curfew law, and you simply can't be out past a certain time, even if you're walking or not driving. So the law doesn't even specifically target driving, but as a result of it, you can't drive.

To my knowledge, none of the states require any formal training from a professional driving instructor to obtain a license. I learned from my dad (and occasionally my mom, but she was scared to drive with us when we were learning). I had drivers ed in school, but that was a joke. It was lectures only, no going out driving on the road. I remember a few of the things we learned was how to mask the smell of pot from police dogs (coffee can) and a few choice hand signals you might use on the road :D So that didn't really count (although it is a discount on insurance) Luckily, I've done fine with the training I've had, but others haven't fared so well.

You have to renew your license every so many years (depends on the state, I'm going off of what Missouri does) but the only thing you have to do when you renew is take a vision test and then be able to recognize a few road signs (hmm....I wonder what you're supposed to do when you see a big red sign that says STOP :rolleyes:). The main purpose of renewing is so you can get a license with an updated picture of you, height, weight and address. Oh, and so the DMV can make a few bucks.

I'd say it's pretty obvious why Americans can be pretty crappy drivers.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And out of all that stuff you just mentioned, you fail to mention that Australians only need to take 1 road test. ;) It's not good enough. I never understood why Australia had it set up this way. Two written tests, but only 1 road test? Why? Those 120 hours of on-road experience is so easy to fake. Just ask someone 5 years older than you to fill in a booket. It's not hard. A driving test isn't easy to fool.....not when you have to fool them twice. If you're forced to take 2 road tests that are spaced 1 year apart, the person who assesses your driving will see whether you have developed any bad driving habits, or entirely forgot how to do something well.

I like what Ontarians have in Canada:

1. You start off by taking a written test. If you pass the written test, then they give you a beginners license that allows you to drive with your parents or an instructor. No driving alone. No highways. You're usually 16 years old when you take this test.

2. After 1 year, you take Road Test #1. If you pass, your parents rejoice, and you're allowed to drive by yourself, and on the highway. No driving after 11 pm (or possibly midnight), and 0% alcohol in your system. You're around 17 years old when you take this test.

3. After another year, you're allowed to take Road Test #2. This is like Test #1, but it incorporates a bit of highway driving, along with parts of Test #1. They just want to see that after 2 years, you can actually parallel park a car. ;) If you haven't been driving often between Test #1 and Test #2, it's easily spotted. The limited skills you developed before are eroded, and you're even worse than before. If you have driven often enough over the past year, the test isn't so bad. Just don't show up with your bad habits (eg: driving only with one hand on the steering wheel).

This takes a total of 2 years (if you don't fail the tests). I was 18 when I got my full licence. This is the way it should be done, IMO.

If they asked you to take a driving test every 10-15 years, it would be even better.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In CA, drivers are given a provisional license for the first year (or until the age of 18, whichever comes first), meaning you cannot drive between 11 pm and 5 am and you cannot transport passengers under age 20 unless you are accompanied by your parent or guardian, a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or certified driving instructor. There's also a zero tolerance for alcohol (0% BAC) until the age of 21.

In CA, unless you are at least 18, you must have completed 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training from a certified instructor. In fact, your permit is not valid until you've have your first lesson.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok to me that is a major flaw in the system. pretty crazy how someone could just miraculously pass, and then be a potential hazard to themselves and others.

oh to get ur full licence u dont have to take a practical in aust?? i swear u had to. lol i dont even kno my own countrys laws.

in canada, say if your going for your Road Test #2 and you do a reverse parallel park/parallel park.....in aust you have to learn to do that just on your L's. to be able to drive by yourself u have to be able to do everything that can be done, and not over a certain amount of time like in canada.

in total if you go straight through it takes 4 years for us to get our full licence, which is fairly long compared to yours. i think its a pretty good system, we are not allowed any alcohol (zero tolerance) until wer on our full licence aswell.

EDIT: we cant get our full license until we are 20 y/o, which i think is enough time to become fully mature, especially for us guys

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Come to think of it, I think MO has the limits on who can be a passenger and blood alcohol content. (for someone under 21, shouldn't there be zero tolerance all the time, not just when driving?) But still none of the restrictions like some of these other countries have.

Glad to hear that I was wrong and at least one state has some sense when it comes to training. I wish MO required training from a certified instructor too. I think that would help out quite a bit with new drivers who can't drive worth a damn.

Sometimes, I think license eligibility should be based off maturity, rather than age. I've known some 16 year olds who shouldn't be allowed near cars, and some 15 year olds who would likely make excellent drivers. Unfortunately, it's easier to measure age than maturity so that's what the laws stick with.

People get their license on their 16th birthday because they can, not because they should. I got mine on my 16th birthday because I had my permit for a full year, had a lot of practice under my belt and felt ready. My brother, on the other hand is 17 and is still on his permit because he doesn't feel like he's ready to drive on his own yet, and I respect him for that. He would pose a danger to himself and others if he prematurely got his license. I wish more people would take the time to become a good driver before getting their license, rather than jumping the gun and getting it because the law says they can.

Driving tests need to be greatly improved and cover more types of driving. Not sure how other states are, but my driving test was all in neighborhoods with no cars around. No driving in city traffic and no driving on a highway. It didn't test my abilities to merge onto a freeway and switch lanes, or my abilities to keep from crashing into another car in rush hour traffic. It was more of a "Can you follow a 25mph speed limit? Check. Can you stop at a stop sign? Check. Can you not hit that pedestrian? Check. Can you use a parking break? Check. Do you know how to turn on the headlights, wipers, turn signal? Check. Can you parallel park? Oh, nope, not even close. Congratulations, here's your license"

Oh, it's far fetched. The chance of someone whose never driven in their life being able to pass a driving test is probably next to nothing, but that possibility is still there which is indeed a huge flaw.

23. samuraikiss macrumors regular

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol nice. our tests are similar to that, we have to know 3-point turn, reverse parallel park, normal park, hill starts, indicating the correct length b4 the turn etcetcetc.

they recently extended the test length to 45minutes, it used to be around 15-20mins. so they have made it a bit harder and more intense.

25. iCube macrumors 6502