"Womb Theft"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by skunk, Oct 22, 2007.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7057499.stm

There are some really weird people on this planet. :(

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

OMG that is so terrible I don't even know what to say! I can't imagine the pain that woman died in knowing her baby is getting cut out of her stomach :(. I'm against death penalty, but I hope Montgomery gets the harshest punishment possible.

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

OMFG. That's just... sick. I'm sorry but in this case I think death penalty. :(

(flame suit on)

4. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sigh, that case happened right here in the Kansas City area. Not a proud moment for our fair city...
    I'm just happy the baby survived and is healthy. I hope the facts of her premature "birth" don't traumatize her too much throughout her life.

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'll put my flame suit on as well, I'm for the death penalty. It's my opinion.

Why keep them locked up in jail and waste our tax money keeping these psychopaths around? I sure sound like an ******* but sometimes the death penalty should be enforced in situations like these.

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

No death penalty. There is absolutely no justification for the death penalty. A life sentence, maybe, but killing for killing's sake should not be any part of the remit of a civilised justice system.

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm normally for capital punishment, but I don't think this case warrants it. I think this woman is truly mentally ill. There must be something wrong with you if you have the nerve to stalk a woman online, go to her home under false pretenses, strangle her, and then try to take her baby using a kitchen knife. There doesn't seem to be a reasonable motive (a crazy one, yes, but not a logical one). I think in this case, even if the prosecutor gets the death penalty at trial, an appellate court will probably overturn the ruling simply because the woman is not of sound mind and judgement.

10. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I'm definitely for the death penalty in rare cases, but I also think it may not apply here. One thinks she has to be mentally ill to commit such a crime. :(

11. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I'm against death penalty because I believe no matter what, everyone deserves a second chance. If killing the convicted brings back the victim, then I'm all for it, but it doesn't. The only thing it brings back is hate and anger. Killing another human being shouldn't bring satisfaction to anybody. Plus, I think people suffer more locked up for a lifetime in prison than an instant death.

12. Aranince macrumors 65816

Death penalty for sure. Punishment should fit the crime. death == death

13. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The fact that she showed off the baby the next day as if nothing ever happened does prove somewhat that she was a bit loopy. You'd have to be to just move on and change like that... so perhaps the jury should of sent her to a mental institution instead. I don't think she should get the death penalty, but wherever she ended up, she shouldn't be released.

An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind, how does that help ?

14. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I'm against the death penalty.

I am all for hard labor. Hard, miserable labor from sun up to sun down - no privileges .Make the rest of her life miserable so that she wishes she were dead.

15. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Just to clarify my support the death penalty in rare cases... I present Ted Bundy, who escaped 2 times after having been arrested for murder. On his second escape when he went down to Florida, he was killing again.

Its cases like his, that make me think the death penalty does have a place in our society

Let the flaming begin... :eek:

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exactly. It amazes me that people use something like that as a reason for the death penalty.

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

While I understand the statement in certain contexts...its almost exclusively used by those against the death penalty.

I never understand it in this context.

You kill someone, you die.

I didnt kill anyone, so I dont die.

Where does the whole world become blind from that? ;)

Im for the death penalty, but only because Im obviously a jerk. :p

19. ms.gio macrumors regular

Wow, its hard to believe that one woman would do this to another especially to one that is pregnant. I do feel quite sorry for Lisa Montgomery for something is not right with her. If she has to do a life sentence in jail I hope she receives some psychiatric help for she really needs it. Besides that, it's good to know that Victoria is healthy and safe with her father.

20. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Ok, to all those against the death penalty, I say fair enough. I would like to hear WHY many of you are against it. I'd like to hear some other opinions :eek:

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Countdown for this thread being bumped into the PRSI forum.

22. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

We say that killing another human being is wrong. Why would you want to do so yourself?

What's your view, Count?

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because two wrongs don't make a right.

24. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

1. Many people who are innocent that got convicted gets killed, and there are no ways to bring them back.
    2. You don't know all the circumstances surrounding a case. A person's upbringing, influences from environment and many other factors may contribute to them doing what they did. It doesn't make it right, but one mistake shouldn't cause your life.
    3. Relating to #2, everyone deserves a second chance.
    4. Criminals have families too. While they may be guilty, their families aren't. Especially their children, they don't deserve having their mother/father taken away.
    You have to pay more attention to the criminals' sides of the story. While some are truly sadistic people, many are just human beings who made a big mistake. Death penalty doesn't accomplish anything. Like I said, if killing the criminal brings back the victim, then I can see a reason for it. But killing someone just for revenge is barbaric and no different then a murderer who does the same.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

^^^

I think if you want to debate the death penalty, you should do it here.

The primary thing to discuss in this story is the nature of this lady's act. Any discussion of the death penalty and it's merits should belong in the PRSI forums.