Women on Ice

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link

LONDON (Reuters) - Fancy something different? The British Antarctic Survey may have just the job.

The scientific research organization has launched a recruitment drive to attract tradeswomen.

The organization is looking for female electricians, plumbers, carpenters, steel erectors, chefs and boat handlers to work for six to 18 months at its five research stations on and around the Antarctic.

"Where else can you work in an environment surrounded by penguins, seals and icebergs and climb down a crevasse during your lunch hour?" said Jill Thomson, head of building services at the BAS.

The starting salary is 18,338 pounds ($34,640) plus an Antarctic allowance. All food, accommodation and travel are paid for.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Certainly not what I was expecting. My first thought was woman's ice skating, one of my favorite Olympic events. According to the article it sounds like a great work opportunity in Antarctica. The rewards probably would be well worth the isolation. Definitely a very worthwhile activity.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
miloblithe said:
Come to Antarctica! Be surrounded by dudes!
18 months!?!? That's a long time to be away. I've spent some time in the Arctic and its no picnic - especially in winter. 24 hours of night, no sun, can be a real downer - it will be interesting to see if this actually works :D

D

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
wwooden said:
I bet it was some desperate guys who are up there right now that summit this as a "job opportunity" for women.
TOO many desperate tradesmen. They should increase the salary to attract more potential "tradeswomen." :D

Kato C.

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Great White North
Temperatures on the continent range from 5 degrees Centigrade during the summer to minus 40 C in winter.

Nearly 30 percent of the 400 staff employed by BAS are women.
Minus 40 C (or -40 F, same thing) is not so bad....it is the wind that will cut through you like a knife. A mixed gender work group keeps eveyone more stable. If you think a bunch of horny guys is tough to manage, try a group of catty, isolated women. I doubt much "let's keep warm together under the covers" goes on. Although, human nature being what it is.....

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
I don't understand the comments about the extended nights (stay inside, keep the lights on), or the cold (stay inside). Granted, I retired from the Navy, serving in submarines (no windows, it's really dark if the lights get turned off).
I wouldn't mind going down to work. Unfortunately, I'm not a member of the target audience.