Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
L

Lau

Original poster
Here commences my rant of the day. :p

Ever since I was a kid, this has pissed me off. Every single time I look for a new pair of shoes, or a coat, or anything like that, all the men's clothes are really nice colours, like browns and reds and so on, and all the women's stuff is white or pink or powder bloody blue. If there's a nice pair of trainers, it usually doesn't exist in the women's sizes, or if it does the men's are usually white and black, brown, green, yellow and so on, and the women's ones come in white, white/pink, white/light blue, and if they're really pushing the boat out, white and bloody silver. GAH! Same with other clothes - men's hoodie - plain brown, ladies hoodie - brown with a big pink flower embroidered on it. Jackets - women don't require hoods, apparently. Clothing manufacurers have obviously heard about the forcefield surrounding our heads. Either that or they think we stay indoors going "Ooh, it's raining, I won't want to go out because my makeup will run". Again, GAH!

Drives me effing mental, it does. :mad:

I attach a screenshot for colour comparison:

Picture 2.png
Mens jackets

Picture 1.png
Ladies jackets

Picture 4.png
Mens shoes

Picture 3.png
Ladies shoes

I know I'm a bit of a tomboy, but surely not all women want clothes in white and pink. Do they? Ladies? :eek:

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
While I am not a lady and can't really weigh in on that aspect of things, I can tell you that when it comes to shoes, it certainly is a two way st.

I've worked at a shoe store for a few years, and it seem that the men will complain about not getting the women's brighter, flashier colors, and women will complain about not getting the simpler, solid color mens shoes come in. Depends on the personality type I'd say.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I know I'm a bit of a tomboy, but surely not all women want clothes in white and pink. Do they? Ladies? :eek:

Well I'm no tomboy and I do wear pink but I'd go for a hot raspberry pink not powder pink, or crappy lilac or whatever! So I have to agree with you, there are too many "typically girlie" (read: "crap") colours in women's clothing. I also don't like the stupid butterfly motifs or flowers on everything. Or naff fake bling.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, I think it is a two way street...I'm envious of the colors and the more progressive fashion ideas in women's clothing. Of course, when it amuses me, I wear it anyways. But with shoes that's less possible. :p

I'll admit though, that throwback sneakers are an area where men have the strong advantage. I love me my throwbacks. But why no just get sized-down men's ones, Lau?

L

Lau

Original poster
That's interesting, because most of the shoes I've seen actually seem to be really 'girly' colours, like pale pink and powder blue. I can see how that could work though, as I suppose if you don't like khakis and browns, it would exclude a lot of men's clothing.

With shoes though, I don't see why they don't make shoes over a broader size range. (I'm just grumpy because men's shoes start at size 6, and my feet are one size smaller). :p With clothes it's a bit more difficult because they're such different shapes, so I can see why they have different ranges for men and women, and then I suppose they do choose different colours.

Edit: mkrishnan, unfortunately I'm one size too small for men's shoes, otherwise I'd be all over 'em. And while I do buy boy's clothing on occasion, I'm wary of buying kid's shoes because the support never seems as good in them.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Edit: mkrishnan, unfortunately I'm one size too small for men's shoes, otherwise I'd be all over 'em. And while I do buy boy's clothing on occasion, I'm wary of buying kid's shoes because the support never seems as good in them.

Aww, yeah, that makes sense. If I want women's flip-flop sandals, I'm usually on the edge, because I need size 11 US, which isn't consistently available (I'm size 9 US / 42 or so EU).

Speaking of kids shoes, though, I do rather fancy... (a) a pair of Heelys and (b) a pair of shoes that light up. :) For camp, natch.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i wear really big shoes for a woman (size 14), and i usually buy my sneakers from the mens sections since they are alot easier to get. but i wish they had more bright colors in those mens shoes, since it's next to impossible to find women's shoes in my size, and partly the reason why my shoe pairs are in the single digits (compared to many ladies that tend to have lots of pairs).

the only place i can find 14's in regular stock is nordstroms with a company called murno shoes. i've been looking there for years and like their shoes, but they are a bit expensive ($50 and up), so i don't buy them too often.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC

White and pink and baby blue, YUK!!!
Yes, this drive me nuts!!!

What's worse is, here in the US, with the new "vanity sizing", they don't make womens' clothes small enough for me anymore, so I have to buy juniors. Juniors come in mostly pastels with ugly logos and flowers. I feel silly since I'm over 40.

And don't get me started on shoes, I'm a size 5 US, and have been known to buy small men's shoes and stuff them with cotton and 2 or 3 pads. :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Arrg. Just don't provoke me into a hysterical shrieking rant!

I agree with everything Lau has said and I'll add the other factor which is:

When you hit your 40's, it seems every shop thinks you should be dressing like your grandmother or mother. :mad:

Even though people tell me I could pass for my 30's, it's still frustrating finding sensible clothes for work that aren't frumpy. Even though I'm a designer, and therefore supposed to be hip :rolleyes: , I find it so hard to strike a balance, 'cos nothing fits my weird body anyway.

Mutter...

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Joining the rant -

I too hate the vast variety of women's shoe colors available. While I would wear a hot pink shirt, I wouldn't want hot pink shoes, because they don't match enough things that I own. And I definitely don't want any of the powder pinks/blues/lilacs. I've occasionally owned men's sneakers, but they can be tricky to find because I need a size 6 1/2 or 7, and many stores don't seem to carry a lot of men's shoes in sizes this small.

And BV, you're absolutely right about having difficulty finding clothes when you have an unusual shape. I hate how some designers think we all have the same proportions!

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
another rant...junior clothes seem to be cut for those with flat chests. when i was growing up, i had larger breasts than usual, and i always had to buy an extra large to fit my chest area, and sometimes, even those didn't fit. alot of times, everything else felt baggy and small expect that area. and all the models, flat chests! and then we have all these teens on tv that want to be big breasted. it's like the stores were fighting against the wants and desires of teens that had big breasts or wanted one. all they think is all teens have small chests and can't get big chests until they are older despite their whining.

L

Lau

Original poster
I'm sorely tempted to start a clothing company. ;)

I'm so glad you all agree. Although, if that's the case, who's buying this crap?

I've recently been promoted, and for the first time in about 10 years actually have money to spend. Coupled with the fact that I've got a bit less lardy over the last couple of months, I need clothes, but actually can't find any I like. Nothing more frustrating than having money to spend, and needing stuff, but nothing to meet in the middle.

London on Thursday ain't gonna know what hit it. :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I bought my girlfriend a yellow Quiksilver top a few months ago only I forgot to give it to her. Somehow it ended up (with all the tags still on) in my wardrobe. Was going out to the beach before we got by torrential rain and thought "well, I'll wear a tight shirt". oh boy it was tight, I totally forgot it was a woman top since the design is unisex.

I suppose it depends where you shop though. Caroline likes "autumn" colours too and has all the usual stuff in them colours. I suppose down in Stoke all the colours just fade away :D

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
What brands do you people buy?

I suppose this *might* be true for teenie-style fashion, but with women's "grown-up" brands (Calvin Klein, BCBG, Max Mara, Diane von Fuerstenberg, Tahari, etc.), you don't have this problem.

I think the problem is more that if you go for teen styles, you'll also get teen colors (at least for women). If you want grown-up colors you probably need to be looking for grown-up styles, too.

Adidas and Puma have stuff in very basic colors and tiny sizes, black/white, black/white/yellow, etc.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
wow women complain about lack of choice not only in terms of shoes but also in term of clothes

welcome in the world of an average male

buying shoes takes me normally at least visiting through 10 stores to find a single pair which i like...same for pants

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Women get Bench funnel necks, and North Face Triple C's.

And as such, you have absolutely no right to bitch about the lack of variety in the clothes department.

It's nothing other than plain, old sexual discrimination that I can't buy either to fit my manly physique.

L

Lau

Original poster
What brands do you people buy?

I suppose this *might* be true for teenie-style fashion, but with women's "grown-up" brands (Calvin Klein, BCBG, Max Mara, Diane von Fuerstenberg, Tahari, etc.), you don't have this problem.

I don't really rate any of those designer brands – not my style at all. Designer stuff has never been my thing, as it's either a lot smarter than I'd usually wear, or it's got huge labels on it, or is that kind of uber tacky stuff. And yeah, it is more grown up, but then I'm in my 20s and I'm not ready to start dressing like I'm older, really.

I quite like some of Howies stuff, but their range is quite limited.

buying shoes takes me normally at least visiting through 10 stores to find a single pair which i like...same for pants

That's really funny, because I see so much guys stuff that I like that I really would buy on the spot but it's always too big or the wrong shape (i.e. coats the shoulders are huge).

Edit: Gav, why have you posted a picture of a sleeping bag? :p

I'd swap the funnel neck for jackets with hoods. ;)

L

Lau

Original poster
Ah, but the colour stripper doesn't strip thread or zips or the like, so you end up with a sexy brown shirt with pink stitching or a brown hoody with a pink zip. :p

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I have a solution to your problem:

http://store.americanapparel.co.uk/

They make tons of clothes (some of which are ridiculous, like the leggings), and the best t-shirts and hoodies ever. Ever. Most of the bands I listen to print on these shirts. I won't buy a t-shirt unless it is this brand anymore. They fit perfect and are so soft and comfortable.

They are also sweatshop free, which accounts for the higher than usual prices, but it's worth it.

The only downside is that the guy who owns the company is a complete misogynistic *******.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Women get Bench funnel necks, and North Face Triple C's.

And as such, you have absolutely no right to bitch about the lack of variety in the clothes department.

But do they only come in black? :p :)

Seriously, with all the stuff out there stating that different skin tones work better with different colors they really should have a better variety of colors.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the pastels. I feel like they make me look bigger and they wash out my already washed out skin tone. Occasionally I'll crave something pink, but normally I'm more of a black, white, brown, dark purple, darker green, darker blues, brown, sometimes red kinda girl. The darker hues just work better, but you're right... they're harder to find in women's clothing. The best chance to find them is in the fall/winter time frame because, ya know, women can only wear dark colors in cold weather apparently. :rolleyes:

As for the sneakers... I'm totally with you. The men's shoe colors and styles are so much better. I was so happy just to find a pair of Asics a while back that were dark blue and white.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Ah, but the colour stripper doesn't strip thread or zips or the like, so you end up with a sexy brown shirt with pink stitching or a brown hoody with a pink zip. :p

Pink & Brown. Teeheehee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.