Won the Retina Lottery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Newfiejudd, May 11, 2013.

1. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

Hey All,

I received my rMBP back a few days ago and was greeted to a nice Samsung screen. No dead Pixels and no more IR.

MY system went in for a logic board and screen replacement, and I am very happy to say I have no GPU throttling or over heating issues.

On my system both the Logic board, fans and heat sink were also replaced.
    The system now much cooler, in bootcamp running some games I have to OC my system to break 71c, 1035/2800.

So if you are still having issues after the SMC update then I would strongly suggest you get the system looked at. My mac is snappier and runs much cooler then my original system purchased on the release of the rMBP's.

Cheers

2. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Mine was flawless too, no dead pixels.. but they appeared after some time.. one by one.. and in the end it was at least 20 dead pixels.. got screen replaced, went back to no dead pixels, and after a few months, theres a few now, but they are so small i only notice them if i go up close.. so i don't care about them.

3. 576316 macrumors 601

Yes, but you paid thousands for a laptop with dead pixels? I would not settle for that. It's not good enough.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Is your screen LG or Samsung? Wonder if one or the other is more prone to dead pixels

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I consider myself lucky. I ordered my 15" rMBP on the WWDC keynote day last year. It's had no dead pixels or image retention issues. It's been the best Apple laptop I've ever used.

Hopefully Apple will have worked out some or all of the issues a lot of people are having with the rMBPs with the Haswell generation.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

Just got my pentalobe screwdriver from iFixit and opened up my 2.6/16/500 rMBP, air duster and microfiber in hand up expecting dust everywhere (had it for about 4 months). After all, I've had to do the same for my previous notebooks on a regular basis.

Anyway I was surprised to see very minute traces of dust on the bottom case lid. And that's it. The fans, chips and logic board were exceptionally clean.

Now I know these things aren't made with fairy dust, but man this thing is beautifully built and designed!

7. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

if you can't see them with normal usage, in my book thats good enough.. people expect 100% perfect MacBooks and study them 8 hours a day just to find a small spot so they can get it replaced.. it's sad, and a waste of time.. if you sit around and check every darn pixel with a magnifying glass for hours a day, you're using your computer wrong.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Sure, some people expect 100% perfect in terms of appearance, not a hardware defect. The screen is the selling point and most important part - you look at it all the time, so having dead pixels is a big annoyance.

9. 576316 macrumors 601

I'd be expecting it if I'd spent so much money on it.

10. Newfiejudd thread starter macrumors regular

My biggest surprise was the decrease in CPU and GPU temps. Sitting here idling at 33c :)

Even in bootcamp they are now low. So I have no doubt that some units where defective from day one. This machine works so much better. I just hope it all stays this way.

Attached Files:

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Wait, burning your fingers when playing Mincraft isn't normal? I'm not joking. It was my experience with another MacBook, and just thought it was normal.

TEG

12. Autrement macrumors regular

Maybe it's just me, but I would consider "winning the Retina lottery" getting a screen/logic board/heat sink that work from the beginning and don't need to be sent in and replaced for it to work right. But it's great that you're happy with what you have now! ;)

13. Newfiejudd thread starter macrumors regular

I would agree, but compared to others who have had issues. I'm considering myself lucky. And to expect a perfect machine on 100% of Apple sales, is just not possible. No manufacturer would commit to that, there are just too many variables that could go wrong. And the machine seemed to perform well when I originally received it, it wasn't till an SMC update and several months later that the symptoms began to show.

But yes it would have been extremely nice to have gotten this from the get go.

14. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

What software generates the report you are showing with core temps and many other data?

15. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Purchased Macbooks/iMacs should be as good and defect free as the ones on display in the Apple Store. If one is not then it is defective and should be replaced.

16. Exana macrumors regular

Istat menu

17. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Older Macbooks run a lot hotter than rMBPs...

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well I nearly burn my fingers playing Minecraft or Borderlands 2, and have to use an external keyboard (even with the fans on full speed).

TEG