Wonder what happens when you get into your car?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JonMPLS, Mar 11, 2015.

1. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Any guess what happens when you get into your car with your iPhone synced to the car via bluetooth? Wonder which link gets priority.

2. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Wonder what happens when you get into your car?

Should not be a problem. The Apple Watch uses Bluetooth 4.0 which will utilize bluetooth over wifi so it won't interfere with your cars bluetooth connection. Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if they wrecked everyone's car's bluetooth connectivity.
    Good question though.

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...ty-coax-advanced-features-from-bluetooth-wifi

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

when I get in the car my iPhone connects to my car audio while still maintaining a connection to my Pebble watch via Bluetooth.

4. JonMPLS thread starter macrumors 65816

5. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

yep. I was worried that my pebble would mess up the car connection. Of course the car should always win when it comes to answering calls for hands free talking.

6. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

LOL. Someday the watch will be stand alone and this wont even be a question.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

The pebble doesn't answer phone calls though. If you get a call, does it ring through your car or the watch (or both)?

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The Pebble doesn't register itself as an audio device, so it would never conflict with your car. If you are using bluetooth headphones and you get in your car, you'll probably have an issue because the phone/watch will already be connected to an audio device. Just turn off the headphones and all will be well.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes. The Pebble vibrates, Caller ID on the watch shows who is calling and you can answer the call from the Pebble.

----------

That's fine for headphones. If the Apple watch mimics what bluetooth headphones do then I have to turn off or disconnect my Apple watch when I get in the car in order to connect to my car?

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yes, you CAN answer the phone from the Pebble in your car and then speak on the cars system. However, there is no reason to do so if your steering wheel has an answer the phone button. No need to look at the watch when the phone rings because your car should be displaying who is calling.

The phone does get confused if you are in your car and use the phone itself to dial a call but it just gives you a quick pop up asking which device you want to talk on. You get privacy mode which means use the phone in case others are in the car or you can tell it to use the cars speakers. The watch has been getting a big beta test. I am sure they will not mess this up since the technology is already there.

You can also switch the Bluetooth device to talk on once in a call. I do that all the time because my friends have a habit of calling me right as I am starting my car and the cars Bluetooth connection is not fully connected.

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

No. One device can pair to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time (up to eight concurrently).

I have a Bluetooth system in my car and also use a Bluetooth headset. I don't remember if both devices ring when a call comes in, but the device that I answer from is the one that gets the call audio. I don't know if Apple will program things so that the system is aware of differences between a Carplay system and the Apple Watch, but even if they don't and all devices behave like standard Bluetooth devices, there won't be an issue.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If my bluetooth headphones are connected to my iPhone when I get int he car my audio system cant connect to my iPhone until I turn off the headphones.

Same thing with My Macbook at home. If I want to use the headphones with my Macbook I have to turn off bluetooth on my iPhone.

13. technosix macrumors 6502a

It's delightful and fully automated.

I leave the house, jump into my car and immediately I'm listening to what I had playing in the house. Now running iOS 8.2 the Bluetooth connection is so strong there's absolutely no delay like before.

After months of horrible buggy performance, I'm positively thrilled to report my iPhone 6 Plus _finally_ performs as it should.

Frankly I was just about to scrap the bloody thing. Having owned it since day one, the daily crashing, OEM keyboard failing to appear, and a huge list of other problems, Apple released 8.2 just in the nick of time... :)

(I will not buy the watch - zero interest)

14. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Two separate issues might be at play here.

First, regarding the car: is it that the car can't connect to the iPhone, or that the audio isn't going to the car? You can check this by starting your car and then looking on your iPhone under Settings > Bluetooth to see if the connection has been made.

Things may differ between devices, but I'd offer that occasionally audio goes through my headset rather than my car. In those cases, using the car's controls to pause the audio and then to play again causes the audio to be channeled through the car, rather than the headset. This usually sticks, as well: I can activate Siri with my headset or take a call, and when music resumes it will be through the car (very long calls sometimes screw this up, but the play/pause technique redirects it properly each time).

The second observation that you've noted regarding your Bluetooth headphones (headset?) has to do with a limitation of the headset/headphone devices. The Bluetooth protocol allows eight devices to be connected at the same time, but Bluetooth headsets (and headphones, mice, and keyboards) were designed to only be used with one device. This makes sense: why would you be talking on two phones at once, or listening to music from two devices at once? As such, those devices will only allow themselves to connect to one device at a time. Newer headsets (and headphones that can act as headsets) allow you to connect to two devices at once for call-answering purposes, but redirecting them for things like music would likely require that they have their connection forcefully redirected, as you have been doing by shutting off Bluetooth on one device and redirecting your headphones to connect to another.

So, getting back to your original question: it's unknown at this point, but I would guess that the Apple Watch will have a limit on the Bluetooth connections that it can make and will only connect to one device at a time. It's designed to be an accessory to the iPhone, and a personal device, so I think this is a safe assumption. The iPhone has no issue connecting to multiple devices at once, and should be able to maintain connections to the Apple Watch, your Bluetooth headphones, and your car, all without difficulty. I'd imagine that your car and your headphones are connecting to your iPhone just fine, and the iPhone is just preferentially sending music and/or calls to the headphones - when you get a chance, try what I suggested above. If the connection really isn't going through, then I'd be interested to know (but would maintain that it's a rare case, unfortunately for you!).

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I know that in my car, I can set the priority order of connected bluetooth devices. That way the car automatically will start playing music off my phone, even if there is another device connected to the car.

I have a Fusion Titanium w/ MyFordTouch. I'd imagine you can do this on other makes and models too.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If my Bluetooth headphones are on and connected to my iPhone my car (VW Touareg) does not see the phone at all. (No Bluetooth devices detected).

17. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

It recognises that it isn't an Apple Car and goes into DFU mode.