Wonderful phone, Terrible Network!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Terabyte2007, May 17, 2010.

1. Terabyte2007 macrumors newbie

Terabyte2007

I just needed to vent here a little. I love the iPhone and in the midst of mobile persecution from Android users, I continue to hold my ground and stay true! But, the network we all have to contend with is absolutely the worst!!! How could Apple continue to be exclusive to AT&T with such a wonderful device capable of so much more if it were not chained to such a pathetic network. I live in Ohio and travel around quite a bit and when AT&T clams they cover 97% of America I wonder if the 3 percent is located in Ohio!

Also, 97% 3G??? I think not! It's more like 40% 3G and the rest Edge and "No Service". Then there is tethering... OMG, what is their deal with tethering! I was extremely embarrassed when I was at a location recently where we had no WiFi access available and a guy I was with whipped out his Palm Pre and said here ya go, pressed a couple buttons and behold!!!, an instant WiFi access point that was not to bad on the speed. Several people were grateful to him for saving the night and I looked like a fool with my iPhone that could not do such a task! Note to Apple & AT&T!

Dropped Calls ... well this is another entire post in itself! I get on average 15 to 20 dropped calls a day and many in the same areas. Sometimes I get several per phone call and I even have full bars! I have heard this from many AT&T users. Most of my dropped calls are along major interstates where you would think the most coverage would exist.

As a consumer and an dedicated Mac and iPhone user all I want are a few choices such as wireless carriers and the ability to use my unlimited data connection by tethering my phone in situations when it is needed. Thats not too much to ask for now is it?

Eric

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

As one member always posts on here, you should first choose the network and then the phone. You also had 30 days to return the iPhone if there were coverage issues. Anyway, sounds like you are one of the unlucky ones. BTW, it could be the phone or the sim card, which is giving you problems. AT&T will replace the sim card for free.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

never understood exactly how a sim card could cause reception issues. i would think it either works or it doesn't???

I remember when I first got AT&T and I went to the store complaining, they kept wanting to replace my sim which made no sense to me.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They had some sim card issues awhile back, where they worked and then stopped. Anyway, just reporting the hearsay. :)

5. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

we know its an issue.....we are working on the problem

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Horrible phone service and the Cavs lost.. tough times.. :)

Honestly, if I had service as bad as you're describing, I'd switch providers in a heartbeat. No way I could deal with that many dropped calls or horrible 3G service. No phone is worth that much frustration..

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Not in my experience. I'm perfectly happy with att.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well everybody will have a different experience depending on their location. AT&T doesn't work in the state where I live so I went with a Droid from Verizon. Basically pick the carrier that works best for you and then choose the phone. Android phones are a great choice if AT&T service is unacceptable where you live.

No matter how much you like the iPhone you would have a much better experience on an Android phone if the carrier is reliable.

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Exactly, that's what I was pointing out. The OP makes it seem like the ATT network is universally bad. On the contrary, I get fantastic 3G speed and reception in every place I go to.

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Me too, in Los Angeles no doubt. My 3G download speed in my house is 2Mbps... that is faster than what my ATT dsl was here. I can show anyone places where every network is full of fail. It just depends.

11. skball123 macrumors regular

Also, their 97% whole deal does NOT mean 97% of the country gets 3G. They do not say that. They mean they cover 97% of the country with their coverage. This could mean anything from the no data to Edge to 3G...

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Very happy with ATT as well. Drove from San Diego to Vegas and signal was perfect the whole trip.

13. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

14. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You make such a great point about location. In my town, I get "mostly" 3g service. Often if I go in the grocery or other buildings, I will lose service altogether. If I go 50 miles to the east, which is the big city (Omaha), I get flawless 3g service everywhere, even in large buildings.

15. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Honestly, AT&T is very reliable in my area...and my data speeds are freaking great! Never a dropped call and I get about 2mbits a sec wherever I go that has 3G coverage.
    I recently compared the data speed to sprint 3G and 4g and my AT&T 3G download speed was between 4 and 6 times as fast!!! I was comparing speed on the laptop using my jail broken iPhone 3GS tethered and the sprint overdrive 4g. Was very disappointed by 4g in my area....but I definitely love AT&T 3G service here in nc!