Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RockPortTech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
South Texas
Greetings All, a bit of background,

I am a M.C.S.E and A+ holder, have been a Windows loyalist for decades. My new 13 inch MacBook Pro has gleefully disappointed me. I'll elaborate.

Normally whenever I purchase a new PC, there are always, ALWAYS drivers to download, peripherals to configure and the occasional firmware updates which have to be installed.

My new Mac though, I simply turned it on and...... That was it? WTH!!!?? Nothing to "fix"? Nothing to download to enable my existing printer, network, backup drives etcetera to configure?

We have 6 computers in our home, my new Mac makes 7, and always I have had to fix something just to get them all to play nice. I was tired of having to do it and did not wish to go at it one more time simply to make MY STUFF work.

So I bought a Mac in the hopes I would not have to do it all over again with a new computer and so as I would have something, anything reliable.

SO very glad I did.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

I am a M.C.S.E and A+ holder, have been a Windows loyalist for decades. My new 13 inch MacBook Pro has gleefully disappointed me. I'll elaborate.

Normally whenever I purchase a new PC, there are always, ALWAYS drivers to download, peripherals to configure and the occasional firmware updates which have to be installed.

My new Mac though, I simply turned it on and...... That was it? WTH!!!?? Nothing to "fix"? Nothing to download to enable my existing printer, network, backup drives etcetera to configure?

We have 6 computers in our home, my new Mac makes 7, and always I have had to fix something just to get them all to play nice. I was tired of having to do it and did not wish to go at it one more time simply to make MY STUFF work.

So I bought a Mac in the hopes I would not have to do it all over again with a new computer and so as I would have something, anything reliable.

SO very glad I did.
It's boring, isn't it?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

SO very glad I did.

i have set up 9 computers in the last 2 months, 4 dell and 5 hps, for friends. After performing a windows update the only thing I had to load was the printer driver, 45 seconds to 1.5 minutes.
I just purchased a 13 mbp and performed a software update.
From box to use was about 30 to 45 minutes for all 10 computers.
Guess I am just lucky

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
This biggest disappointment with Windows is how much it degrades over time. My last MBP went 5 years without any kernel panics or crashes whatsoever. I don't plan on buying a Windows based PC for personal use ever again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know what you mean. The big problem with Macs is you'll have a LOT of extra time on your hands, time that you used to spend "maintaining" Windows. You're gonna have to figure out stuff to use your computer for, like actually doing work or play with it. It's a pain, but you'll get used to it! :D

No more rebooting to free up RAM
No more editing the Windows Registry to clean it up
No more antivirus apps to run
No more .... well, you get the idea!

Al Coholic

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Under the I-470 Freeway
A while back.... with all the Lenovos, HP's and Dells at my office I was the only one who could get his lowly "girly book" (a macbook white) to synch with the new wireless projector at the conference table for an important webcast. Since that single revelation I have converted more people to macs so that now we outnumber all others.

I demand an Apple kickback.

davmcn

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I switched too, I'm done fighting with my computer to make it work and spending ridiculous amounts of time virus checking and all that other crap .I just want to use it, and enjoy using it. Apple FTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.