Wondering about a traffic violation...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Xander562, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to forget their license and drive without it, what would the penalty be if caught? This isn't to be confused with driving without a license AT ALL or driving under a suspended license. The person would still be certified to drive a car, but they happened to forget their little plastic square. What would the penalty, fines, etc. be?

Just curious. :D

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

If i understand it correctly they may write you a ticket, but as long as you prove you have a license within 24hrs you don't have to pay. Thats what I've been told, but I've been lucky never to get caught without my license.

3. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

I should also add that this would be in California, if that makes a difference.

4. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Well technically you have a license, just not the identification. You will still be in the database that you are a licensed driver. The only thing is you better have something to prove that you are you with some kind of photo on it issued by the state or government, like say a passport. If not, I'm sure you just get a ticket if it's just a routine traffic stop, but if it's something more serious then I believe they haul you into the station.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

"if you can prove it in 24 hours"

thats what happened to me when i got pulled over and didnt have proof of insurance (required in FL) i just brought it to the courthouse and showed them and they took that one away

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I've been pulled over at least 4 or 5 times when I wasn't carrying my license and I've never recieved a ticket :D

On a side note, I've been pulled over more times for speeding and NOT getting a ticket, than anyone I know :p