Resolved Wondering about fresh Mountain Lion install on a new Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sebsongs, Oct 30, 2012.

1. sebsongs, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

sebsongs macrumors newbie

Hey guys and gals!

I'm new to the forum, been reading for a long time though.

I'm about to purchase the new middle ground i7 mini and I'm planning to swap the hdd with a Samsung 830 256Gb SSD. Been reading up on it and it seems it would fit my needs and way of working just fine.

My question is one that I haven't been able to answer by googling or searching forums:

When buying a new mac mini you would get Mountain Lion pre-installed, and that's all fine. I read that a lot of you clone the original disk to the SSD. I would like to do a fresh install, and the question is: do I have to buy a new copy of ML to make a bootable USB installer, or will it be available for me to download again from Appstore? I haven't "purchased" ML when I buy a new mac, but I still own the license. How would this work?

Can anyone check the Appstore "purchased"-tab on your new mac with ML and see if it is there for download?

Thanks!

Sebastian

2. -SD- macrumors 6502

Install the new drive and hold Command + R at boot and you'll go into recovery mode. This will allow you to d/l a fresh copy of ML directly from Apple onto your new SSD.

:apple:

3. sebsongs thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, that easy? Cool!
    I'm not used to not having optical drive, never installed an OS like that.
    But that seems perfectly easy.

Thanks!