Wondering About Website Policy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJTHEFUNNY

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
What Is The Forums Stand On Torrenting Applications? I Mean I'm Sure A Large Majority Of Us Bought A mac For Much More Than Email And Picture Sharing or Else We Would Be On A Forum Like This?

I'm Think It's Okay Because We Have An ENTIRE Section Devoted To Jailbreaking (Hacking) iPhones So What Would Be The Main issue With Sharing Links To Hacked (Proverbially Jail broken) Software.

Is It Okay To Share Torrent Links In Threads?
What Happens if You Already Have?
If You Already Have Can you Talk To A Mod About Getting Them Removed Without Getting Kicked?
etc etc.

Cheers!:apple:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
From Forum Rules:
Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.
Since most torrent sites offer files in violation of this rule, it's a no-go.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
As long the links are to legal torrents, it should be okay.

Also take the time to read the forum rules, as that will answer many questions for you.

Warez/Serials/Keys.
Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

Btw, why do you use capitals at the beginning of every word, it makes reading quite hard?

And again the usual suspects.

DJTHEFUNNY

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
So Then What's The Deal With iPhone JBing? Aren't Those Sort Of The Same Thing? Aren't People Modifying Proprietary Firmware?

Sorry Just Trying To Come To A Through Understanding Of Everything

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So Then What's The Deal With iPhone JBing? Aren't Those Sort Of The Same Thing? Aren't People Modifying Proprietary Firmware?

It's not seen as illegal as acquiring copyrighted content, as it only violates the EULA with Apple, but no real law.

yotd

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010

DJTHEFUNNY, why on earth are you writing everything in title case? It disrupts the line of text and makes it very difficult to read.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Btw, why do you use capitals at the beginning of every word, it makes reading quite hard?
He's typing in all-caps, but the MR site admin has enabled the "anti-shout" feature in the vBulletin admin control panel. The guy appears to be relatively new to online discussion forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
He's typing in all-caps, but the MR site admin has enabled the "anti-shout" feature in the vBulletin admin control panel. The guy appears to be relatively new to online discussion forums.
No, he's not typing in all caps. He's using title case.
And As Far As Capitalizing Every Word, It's Just How I Learn To Type, Weird I Know.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

SO I CANNOT SHOUT WHATEVER I WANT? THAT'S A SMEGGING SHAME, AS I HAVE TO SAY THE IPAD IS THE BIGGEST FAILURE OF ALL TIME.

It doesn't seem to work.

DJTHEFUNNY

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Hmac Im Not Typing In All Caps This Is The Way I Type, Sorry. :p

And Thanks For Clearing That Up I Was Wondering About That Spinner, Thanks

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Actually, as you know, not all torrenting involves stealing
Discussions about torrent software... Transmission, uTorrent, etc. are generally allowed
Requests for torrent sites, discussions of pirated software, etc. are not allowed

yotd

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010

And Thanks For Clearing That Up I Was Wondering About That Spinner, Thanks
I'm all for diversity and all that, but speaking for myself, I'd be about 50% more likely to not read a post with that casing. You may find people unresponsive to your posts.

Then again, you may not. Who knows. I would recommend trying sentence case in any case. You just might like it...

DJTHEFUNNY

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
I Know There Is Some Legal Torrenting Bittorrent And Some MMO Websites Send Out Torrents So You can Download Their Software Faster. Believe it Or not The Patch Downloader For World of Warcraft Is Actually A High speed Torrent.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Can you say that a little louder? I can't quite hear you. :D

OF COURSE I CAN. WITH A BLEED.

THE IPAD IS THE BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEST FAILURE IN HUMAN HISTORY

And I agree on the capital letter part, it looks individual, but not in a way I recognize as proper use of letters in written communication.

But it's better than having all letters in capital and pink and whatever-font-that-looks-like-it-is-drawn.

DJTHEFUNNY

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
yg17 whya re you even on this forum if you support android?

traitor.

OMG I TYPE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON WHO HAS NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD BUT WITTY CRITICISM ABOUT THE WAY I TYPE!!! :O

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Because I don't have to be a fanboy who supports everything Apple does to be on here :rolleyes:
Really????? ;)

To the OP:

To quote myself (dormant narcissism):

As there seem to be many people, who use other OSs besides Mac OS X, there are simply people who use other browsers/cars/cereals/underpants/guns/space ships/knifes/telephones/TVs/drugs/... because it suits them and gets the tasks done better than the other similar appliances.

I prefer Safari/Volvo/none/the comfy ones/H&K/Fireflies/bayonet/Sony/none/nicotine/... to others, which could me also get what I want, but not the way I like it.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looking at your posting history, it's pretty clear that you pick and choose to type this way when you feel like it. You've been called out on it before. It's not how you type. No one would teach anyone to type this way. Clearly you're doing it for attention. You'll find that people won't be as receptive/helpful if you do something that is quite obviously annoying to everyone.

Since you're not really contributing much, I would guess that people wouldn't have much of a problem adding you to their ignore list. Who would be around to help you when you have a real problem then?

Relearn how to type.

Re: torrents, it's what others have said. Discussing torrent applications and free torrents is okay, but discussing or linking to copyrighted materials in order to illegally download them is not okay.

There is no comparison between jailbreaking and illegally downloading copyrighted materials EXCEPT for cracked apps. If you jailbreak in order to steal apps (do people still use Installous?), it's the same thing as illegally downloading copyrighted materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.