Wondering how the 13" is more portable than 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 13, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Been a 15" user for awhile and have been thinking about the switch to 13" for "portability", but I got to thinking that there aren't many places a 13" can fit that a 15" cant, especially when travelling people tend to use bigger bags anyways. 15" MBP's fit in pretty much all standard sized backpacks and messenger bags, and there isnt too much of a weight difference.

What have you noticed between the two models in your day to day use that makes one more or less portable? Or is it all in the head?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

All in the head. You'd hate the loss of screen real estate if you do anything window-intensive like photoshop.

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

The 13" is alot more portable then the 15". Think about using it one a desk, on a plane.

And yes the screen on the Macbooks/Macbook Pro 13 sucks it's way too small.

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I do a bit of photo shop and a bit of video editing, but hardly. I do game often though, and a bigger screen is nice for that.

Yeah, its gotta be all in the head. Other than being able to balance on your lap more easily (and that isn't even really a portability concern) there is no difference.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you compare the dimensions on the machine, they're not that different anyway...

6. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

It isn't less. More is more, even 2 inches.

See my sig for further details.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

you can use a 13" for travel and hook up a large monitor for photoshop at home. If your only monitor is the laptop then don't even think about a 13" for photoshop. A 13 and external is a better combo than just a 15 alone if image editing something you do often

8. ippikiokami macrumors regular

In the same line of thinking how is the 15 more portable than the 17?

And for editing if a 13 inch isn't big enough a 15 inch isn't really that much better.

For me with photography at events or on location the 13 is more for sorting / quick crops / exposure / output and if really needed editing.

If you rarely or never take your laptop out of your house obviously the advantages of the 13 is not as apparent.

9. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Just my humble opinion, but I think the 13" is way more portable. It is 1 pound lighter, which actually makes a difference if you are going to be carrying it in a shoulder bag for a long time. Plus, the size difference between the 13" and 15" is larger than the dimensions would lead you to believe. I am a big fan of the 13" and I think I will be buying one of the new ones, even though I was very disappointed at the processor choice. The portability is my #1 concern.

Note that I use my laptop for Logic, which requires a lot of screen space. It is pretty cramped but still usable on the 13" screen... you just have to be creative with managing your screen real estate.

10. chkenwing macrumors regular

Try doing it on a 8.9" screen. :p

Past year or so, I've been using Photoshop/3DS Max my 8.9" Acer One :D:p

So for me, any screen bigger than that will be like going from a 14" TV to a 50" TV. haha.

11. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The 17 is a BEAST. It doesn't fit in your average case.

12. silversx macrumors regular

you dumb a$$... your sh$t is no longer future proof as of today

tard

13. ippikiokami macrumors regular

But you can still find cases that it fits? The weight difference from the 17 is about 1 pound more than the 15 and the 15 is one pound more than the 13. In actual width the differences between the 13-15 and 15-17 are about the same too.

14. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Well blow me I never saw any new future-proofing did you? Oh yes a speed bump and more space. :rolleyes:

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's going to be entirely personal opinion. I used 15" powerbooks for a while but in the end fell in love with the portability of my 12" powerbook which I still use. Much more convenient for me on the fly. Have a monitor at home which I plug it in to and use computer terminals at work.