Wondering if I should do clean install on 3 year old MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ipoddin, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I have a 3 year old Macbook Pro, 2GHz Core Duo, 2gb RAM. It's been running Tiger since day 1. Lots of apps, docs, installs, uninstalls, etc...I did an upgrade to SL and all is fine.

But wondering, after 3 years of use, would I be better of wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch with SL? Like I said, so far, everything seems fine. But nothing is really much faster that I can tell.

2. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Try a couple of reboots. Made things quicker for me.

Conventional wisdom suggests a clean install would be better.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

For the time and effort you might be better off putting 2GB more RAM in if you can.

4. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I think 2gb is the max in this one.

5. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

GraceMolloy

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I have a nov '06 and I'm gonna do a clean install. I've just never trusted upgrades.

6. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

I always tend to do clean installs, because in my view, it's a good thing to clear out some of the left over debris, and more importantly - I feel there is always something, even something minor that will conflict with an app, or preference pane, or some weird haxie that will just get in the way of the experience.

Clean install, gives a great opportunity to do much needed house keeping in terms of archiving old documents that are no longer needed, apps that you just never use, etc...

Plus, if you start off fresh, you know what the 'real' feel of the OS is. /peace!

7. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I have lots of old apps on my laptop I've installed over the years just sitting there. A clean install would sort of give me the feeling of a brand new laptop and I'd only reinstall the apps I need. I have noticed a faster startup and shutdown time though.