Wondering what HD Camcorder to get...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matt1219, Mar 15, 2009.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm a 13 year old student who is graduating middle school soon and going to a high school specializing in video communications and production. I currently use the family camera (JVC GR-D850) and I want a better camera to use. It's kind of funny that I have Adobe AE and Final Cut Express, but not a good camcorder. :-/ I'm looking at HD camcorders, but preferably not MiniDV, because if I have a lot of footage, I have to go through the pain of waiting for the footage to capture, where as if I get a Flash Memory or HDD, it's easier and I can get things done faster. I was looking online at the new Sanyo HD line, specifically the HD-2000. It's only $600 for a full 1080p HD camcorder with a mic in jack. I also read some other posts here and saw the Canon Vixia HV-300. Also same price on Amazon and full HD, but it is MiniDV and the audio recording doesn't look too great on it compared to the Sanyo. So any suggestions? I'm looking to spend $400-800. Thanks!

2. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Are there any specific things you are finding your current JVC GR-D850 is struggling to do to your satisfaction?

3. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

camcorderinfo.com has some detailed reviews of lots of cameras; it's worth a browse around.

4. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

I just need better quality and a mic input. Update: I can go up to $1300 now.

5. SimD macrumors regular

Your reason for staying away from MiniDV is flawed. AVCHD will take longer to work with than tape based. Once either format is captured, the work done in computer is virtually the same. I won't get into details but I still recommend HDV.

There are tons of other reasons, so just search the forums.

Anyway, I'd point you towards the Canon HV series.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree and will add that you will have a backup of your footage after capture. Recording to HDD is great, but it isn't a life saver in the pro editing world. You still have to go through your footage, and many times going through it during capture helps in the final edit.

As for the camera, I would pick the Canon HV40 or Sony HDR-HC9. Both have all the features you'll need. If you are seriously looking for one that records to HDD or flash, then any of them will do as long as they have the 1/8" plug, hotshoe, and AVCHD recording format.