Wonky Battery in MacBook Air (mid-2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sjackson, Aug 31, 2014.

1. sjackson macrumors member

Hi guys,

My MacBook Air has started playing up and losing battery charge all of a sudden and without notification.

I'll take last night as a case in point. Just browsing the internet and with around 15% battery, I clicked on a link and the screen goes black (the instant that I clicked the link). Can't start up the Air as it thinks the battery is dead. So I plug in the charger and start up immediately. Once started up theres 14% battery and a further 5 seconds or so later it shows 0% battery.

It's happened a few times and each time I think battery is below 30% charge when the Air dies.

I'm guessing that it might not be the battery but some other issue with OS X. I looked around and seems there is an SMC update out but that's only for mid-2013 Air's and the SMC that was released for the mid-2012 Airs won't run on 10.9.4 (which I'm running).

Any advice appreciated.....

2. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

System information (system report on about this mac or look it up with spotlight) > Power.

Check the battery status. It should say Normal.
    [​IMG]

If it doesn't, then it's your battery. Also, are you on the latest update?

My recommendation is to take it into the Apple store, or BestBuy or wherever you bought it. See if they can assess it. It could very well be a OS error, but if it's a hardware error, then you'll want to get that checked out.

Good luck!

3. sjackson, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

sjackson thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a million for that. Mine says "Service Battery" which I assume means get a new one?

4. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Yep time for a new one. Soooo I guess you should take it into shop.
    Also, take that picture down I think you're not supposed to show your Serial number to other people .-.

5. sjackson thread starter macrumors member

It's out of warranty so I'll have a bash at replacing it myself. No official Apple stores in Ireland......

6. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Well, I guess as long as you get a compatible battery, you're in luck. I forgot that you have a 2012 model. Idk much about Apple being new to Apple myself, but I think those had replaceable batteries?

7. sjackson thread starter macrumors member

Not exactly replaceable but I have a few torx screwdrivers that should open up the Air

8. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

9. cyber16 macrumors 6502

This is a very easy diy job if you have the tools "screw drivers", will take under 15 minutes to complete.