Wonky iPhone 4, slow, crashing, won't delete emails

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LilSweetPea, Aug 19, 2011.

1. LilSweetPea macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day. However last spring I did trade it for a new one because I was still cheek hanging up on people (ftr, my new one does too).

As of lately my phone has began to have tons of issues. For awhile it would allow me to answer a call, but would never switch over to the next screen so I could say put the call on speaker, or switch to my bluetooth. And at the end of the call, since the screen was still frozen on the accept/decline screen, I also was unable to hang up and would have to wait for the person on the other line to hang up.

Last week it was not acknowledging my wifi network at home. My iPad, my Macbook Pro were using the wifi w/ no issues. Just my iPhone wouldn't connect.

My phone is slow responding, and draining on the battery (yes, I frequently kill apps and turn the wifi off when I'm not home).

The newest thing to drive me crazy is the email app. I have 2 godaddy based pop accounts on my phone. My email has been really slow lately, so I decided to go in and try to delete out sent emails in the one account. There are over 1300 emails in there. I start to delete, the screen freezes, it finally responds and I'll delete how ever many emails I have selected (from 1-200ish). Sometimes I'll try to delete another batch, sometimes I'll just exit the app. When I kill mail and go back in, back appear all those emails. FTR, I can delete fine in the other account. And they don't come back.

I've turned off, restarted, etc. The emails come back. In a desperation attempt I deleted that email account. Turned off the phone, came back, installed the account again. All the sent emails (all 1300) are back in my new sent box.

I'm going insane because my phone is so slow, my mail app crashes frequently etc. I have a 32 GB phone with probably 20GB free! So I know space really isn't or shouldn't be an issue. I have probably 869 photos and 83 videos in my camera roll, can that be the issue too? I don't have tons and tons of apps either.....

I'm really at a loss! Any suggestions? Also is there anyway to have the sent folder delete without going in and selecting each email? I really don't need to keep 99% of the sent emails I send. But to sit down and delete them one by one is very annoying (hence 900 in one account 1300 in the other).

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Do a clean restore. If the issues persist, take it back to Apple and they'll swap it out for a new one.

3. LilSweetPea thread starter macrumors newbie

Despite own 87,000 apple products and 3 iphones....

clean restore? How do I do that? LOL.

4. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Clean restore = do a normal restore in iTunes but don't put a backup on it. Your issues are likely due to corrupted settings files and a backup would just put them back on your phone.

If that doesn't work you have hardware problems, so take it back to Apple.

5. LilSweetPea thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. That seems to have helped. Although it was no fun doing all that again.