Wonky sound in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wrldwzrd89, Mar 24, 2013.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm running Ubuntu right now on my 27" iMac as the only OS. It all works GREAT, except for one little quibble: The sound output from the built-in speakers sounds somehow distant. If I need to use external speakers, so be it - I have 2 sets to choose between. I do wonder, though, if there's a known solution.

2. 264nm macrumors newbie

Here's some tips..

Joined the forums to answer this question because when I've had problems trying to sort something out I have to put in a decent answer to save somebody else the trouble in the future when they're scouring forums for a answer.

I've noticed from reading forum posts that even different sized models from the same generation seem to have conflicting fixes that have worked.

However, sound problems of Ubuntu on iMac's seem to be consistently problematic for Intel HDA drivers and the iMac speakers... whether sound doesn't work at all, or sounds 'tinny', or only comes out of one speaker, or headphone jack doesn't work, I offer this advice.

Try open up alsamixer from the terminal and see if it can be resolved by unmuting channels and changing the levels.

Go to https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/alsa-daily/+packages
    ...Click on the oem-audio-hda-daily-dkms package and download the deb file for your particular ubuntu version, install by navigating to the directory it downloaded to in terminal and type "sudo dpkg -i <deb file you downloaded>". Reboot.

See if opening up /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and adding the line "options snd-hda-intel model= *" where the star is replaced by either:
    mbp3
    imac24
    imac27
    ...Be sure to reboot afterwards. See if each of these make your problem any better or worse. One of these may work or partially help particularly if no sound at all works to start with.

Install the HDA-Jack-Retask package.. you can use this tool to reassign the pins it wrongly assigns to the correct internal speakers on boot using the boot override. Nifty tool in general - was able to reassign a line in to a headphone jack when the plug snapped off in my laptop's headphone jack. Reboot.

Depending on what model you have, one of these things should solve your issue alone or in combination with one of the others.

Good luck guys. Good to see that some Mac users out there are open minded enough to run Linux on their hardware... you represent a small percentage of the population.