Won't a restore from Time Machine just restore my problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by C.Barr, Jan 11, 2009.

1. C.Barr macrumors newbie

Hey guys, just signed up for the forum today and plan on stopping by often.... but I have a question.

Recently my 15" MBP has been very sluggish, especially when it comes to browsing the web. I can scroll with my mouse wheel, and wait a few seconds, then I see it actually scroll. Flash video lags and drop frames, etc. Same type of stuff outside of the browser as well, just feeling slow.

So I've got my awesome Drobo (with 2 1TB drives I might add) as my Time Machine backup, and my question is that if I just do an erase and install of OSX, and restore my computer from my previous TM state, won't that just restore all the problems I had?

Would it be worth just starting over for real and install all my software, import my music, etc. manually, or should I trust Time Machine?

Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does it matter? If restoring the backup doesn't work, you can do a full wipe easily enough. However, it usually does. Time Machine doesn't back up system files, which is probably where things are mucked up.

3. C.Barr thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, good point. I was unclear if TM only backed up personal files or not. I'll give that a shot this week and see where that gets me.

Thanks.