Won't be using macbook for awhile

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 1974muff, Jan 17, 2012.

1. 1974muff macrumors newbie

I'll be out of town for two weeks. Leaving macbook air at home. Need some advice. Should I keep my laptop plugged in and charging while I'm gone? Do I need to shut down completely or just put my laptop to sleep?

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

It would be best on the laptop to be shutdown and left unplugged.

3. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Let the battery drain to about 50%, and then shut her down, unplugged. That's what Apple recommends.

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Turn it off and unplug it. There's no logical reason to leave it plugged in and/or running if you're not going to be able to use it.

----------

Only when you're not going to be using it for six months or more do you need to take precautions.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

If it's a 2010 or 2011 model, just close the lid and unplug it. When you get back in 2 weeks, it should still have about half the battery left (assuming it was full when you closed it). It will drop down into "deep sleep," which preserves the battery for up to 30 days.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Oh wow, did not know that. Thanks for clarifying.

7. lolwut89 macrumors member

If you're going to be that paranoid, might as well put it in your refrigerator.

A battery will die eventually. Capacity drops 20% every year when stored at room temperature. It drops 5%-10% when in a cold environment.

But seriously I think you'll be fine ;) I would say unplug it. Whenever I travel I always unplug/shutdown everything.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't matter. You can sleep or shut down, leave plugged in or not. If it's unplugged and in sleep (hibernation) mode, it should last around 30 days on a battery charge. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: