Won't boot from CD/DVD...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisInMiss, Nov 9, 2010.

1. chrisInMiss macrumors newbie

I'm trying to boot from CD or DVD onto a Macbook pro w/o any OS and it won't

Vital stats of "injured" computer
    CPU: Dual Core 2.16 GHz
    HD: 2 partitions: 46+fraction GB and 76+fraction GB

Here's the situation. I've offloaded everything I wanted to save (I connected old MBP to new MBP) and I've zeroed out what will be the boot partition (the 46.? GB, the partition "iTunes" (is untouched, still has its data).

I tried booting from the OS 10.3 CD (the CD's that came with this IIRC).

Is the problem that I've been using the wrong discs to boot from or am I missing something else.

BTW: I've tried holding the C key down to boot from the CD/DVD drive and I've tried holding down the D key.

Thanks,
    --Chris

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Are you using the 10.3 CD? They did not ship with that machine and will not work.

3. chrisInMiss thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the bad part about having owned 4 macs. having to remember which OS for which mac

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, the gray 10.4.6 discs will work.

5. chrisInMiss thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, I'm looking for the 10.4 disc... having trouble finding it

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well, any 10.5 or 10.6 retail disc will work as well.

7. chrisInMiss thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a wonderful suggestion (technically feasible, simple to implement... quick drive to best buy, or any other retial store that sells it, no waiting on mail ordering anything). Most people it'd be fine.

I hate snow leopard (never tried leopard), my newer MPB runs it and I wish I was tech-savvy enough to understand linux (and delete snow leopard off this machine in a heartbeat. I will not use M$ (Windows IS a virus). I ordered replacement discs for my older MBP from apple (I'd do it again if I had to). Apple has gotten less and less intuitive. I won't use iTunes 10 (It's getting to where you must be on line to use the computer, and frankly, I don't like being on line 100% of the time).

Thanks for your help. When I run out of places to search, I'll need to call apple and order those discs... again.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No problem ... it was just a suggestion, if you had them sitting around somewhere.