Won't boot from CD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lwis, May 1, 2011.

1. Lwis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been a guest on these forums for quite some time now and I've never really seen the need to register till now, so hopefully the thriving community can help me :D

I'll give you a quick brief, I'm on a 2010 MBP 15' i7 with an optibay, 500GB WD drive and a 240GB Vertex 3. I'm using the MaxUpgrades Optibay with there USB powered superdrive enclosure.

Here's my issue; http://yfrog.com/05z5gz

Basically, when I try to boot from a windows/linux disc to install another OS on the WD drive I just get that, which I have found out means root was not found? I'm quite desperate for Win & Linux partitions due to the fact that I have to use them for certain uni projects which don't have software for OSX.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Lewis.

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I believe this is a common problem. You can't install an OS to a drive in the optibay.

3. J.W.Pepper, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

J.W.Pepper macrumors newbie

I went through this situation only a few days ago with my 2011 15" MBP. I spent hours google searching and reading forums. I never found a way to boot from a windows7 installer in my superdrive in an external enclosure or a USB drive. In the end I temporarily took my optibay out, replaced the superdrive and put the hdd in the normal hdd slot. After I installed windows, I put everything back. The taking apart and putting back together took less than 30 minutes. I wish I had done it like that in the first place.

4. Lwis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd do that, I've been trying to do this for days now.. But the enclosure for the superdrive doesn't seem like it wants to come apart :/