Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgriffin, May 7, 2011.

1. mgriffin macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 macbook pro that won't boot. I tried using the system recovery cd and it doesn't find the drive. Tried single user mode did the /sbin/fsck -fy command and it says the drive is ok. Tried the diagnostic cd to check hardware and it all came back good. I bought a new hard drive and put it in. The new drive is found but I can't install OSX 10.6 on it. I also bought a new copy of snow leopard and tried the install and it failed also. I have installed these drives in my other macbook pro and everything worked perfectly. Not really sure what to look for next. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try. I really don't want to buy a new computer as I think this should be a easy fix.

2. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

What happens when you try to boot? Is it a flashing question mark? If so, you should boot with OS X Installer and make sure the right startup disk is selected. If this doesn't help then it could be a faulty SATA port. If such is the case, you would likely have to replace the logic board to solve the problem. The only other thing to check is to make sure you are using the install CD that came with your computer and trying the install again instead of using a retail Snow Leopard disk.

3. mgriffin thread starter macrumors newbie

It boots to the apple logo and the spinning spokes that's as far as it goes. Like I said earlier I put the new drive in my other macbook pro and OS X installed without a problem and ran perfect. I put it back in my other computer and nothing but the apple logo and the spinning spokes.

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

If you are booting up with the CD and will take a little while before you get the install menus (better for lack of a term). Do this, put in the restore disk that the computer came with in the ROM drive restart the machine but hold down the option/alt key down. This should show what drives are bootable. Pick the CD one and go from there.

Hugh

5. ddmcnair macrumors member

What happens when you try command-v

Have you tried command-v, and if so what is the last thing you see in the boot process?

6. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Or you could try Command-V to see what it is doing. Sorry about that I forgot about that thanks ddmcnair is on the ball. :)

Hugh

7. mgriffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did command v and the last thing is systemshutdown false

8. mgriffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow wait a minute it's going crazy writing disk0s2 media is not present. Doesn't seem to want to stop writing it. So it's not finding the hard drive for sure.

9. mgriffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Each time I run command v I get something different. Now I have SATA WARNING Enable auto-activate failed. Before that is NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - Valid but not active.