Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tibas92013, Oct 25, 2016.

1. tibas92013, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

MY i5 MM(Late 2012), 2.5GHz,16GB Ram, 500GB HD will not boot. It does turn-on as I am able to hear the power button sound when pressed, however, all I am only able to see the Apple White Logo under which is the white progress line with no advancement. . I am unable to access the log-in screen in which I enter my password.

Last month I upgraded the OS X from "Mountain Lion" to "El Capitan" in which my MM was running ok until today.

Any thoughts on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Did you try the usuals like booting to safe mode, etc?

3. tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not do the "Safe Boot recovery mode" due to the fact that I am using a "Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 that appears to not have a "Command Key".

I do have a Bluetooth Apple Keyboard which is not Bluetooth connected to this problem MM.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have several Windows keyboards and the key with the windows icon behaves like a command key….

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I think it's the Windows key for the cmd key

6. tibas92013, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I accessed using the "Windows Key" the "Safe Boot Recovery" Window and received the following message:

"Checking Catalog File Result: Incorrect Number of Thread Records(C4,23546)".

"After three(3) attempts the Volume Mac HD could not be repaired"

My novice interpretation of the above results is that my Mac HD 500GB has gone "South"

I also was able to access the "Disk Utility" Window" and ran the "First Aid Utility" with the following lousy result:

"First Aid process has failed. If possible back-up the Data on this Volume" and gave me the following other options to try:

1. Restore from the Time Machine Back-up(I have No Time Machine Backup);

2.Reinstall OS X(Appears not a Good Option if my Mac HD is "Fried");

3.Get On-Line Help which I am doing as a "MacRumors Member"; and

4.Disk Utility(I tried this with no success).

I guess My next step is installing a replacement External SSD.

To all thanks for your help.

7. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I suggest you:

* Make a full backup
    * Get an installation disk/USB stick
    * Boot the installation disk/USB and when you get to the interactive part where you choose a language etc., open Disk Utility and reformat your hard drive (create a new Partition in place of the existing one)
    * If your backup is made with Time Machine, you should be able to restore it using the booted installation disk, the option should be on the same pull-down menu as you selected Disk Utility from.

Good luck!

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Fastest way to get going again might be…

- Get ahold of an external USB3 SSD
    - Plug it in and boot to internet recovery
    - Initialize SSD, install OS onto it
    - Boot from new OS, get account created, see if any way to access internal HDD.

9. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Great idea, just having an install disk (you dont even have to actually install the os..) you can pause when you have the gui of the installer after a boot, and not actually fresh install.. but go to the top disk utility and terminal. Even from terminal and otherwise recovery mode, or single user mode, you can mount drives from CLI probably and cp data over to the working usb drive.

10. tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will a " 1TB WD My Passport" External HD do-the-trick as I have a spare one in my closet?? Thanx for your help!

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

12. tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried to boot-up this morning and when I pressed the "ON" button I heard the Chime and the white "Progress Line" under the Apple Logo only progressed around 3/4 mark but after around a couple of minutes it turns-off my MM.

I tried this around a half dozen times but in each boot-up the progress line stopped at the 3/4 mark and after a couple of minutes it again turned-off my machine.

Any thoughts??

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Have you tried booting to internet recovery, as described above?

Or… just a "regular" boot?

14. tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did all of the above with no luck, however, the white progress line did progress to the 3/4 mark as times before it was Zero Progress.