Won't charge. How can I determine if battery, charging cable, or software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GhostMac24, Aug 22, 2012.

1. GhostMac24, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Have an Intel Core Duo 17" MBP and replaced the battery exactly 2 years ago when the original battery was starting to "swell" like a balloon.

In the last couple weeks I noticed that the MPB will not charge. Sometimes it will (and will charge all the way to 100%) but for the most part it won't and just stays at 0%. If I remove the power cord (when at 0%) the MPB just shuts down.

Is there anyway to tell without going to the genius bar if this is the battery, the charging cord, or software? I can't imagine it is the battery as it is only 2 years old and I do not use the MBP every day so I can't imagine the charging cycle life is done. I figured if it was done then it would just hold less charge slowly over time.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It really seems like your battery may be the issue. If it were the power cable, I don't think you'd be able to use your computer at all.

Go to Utilities > System Information and select "Power" on the righthand side of the window.

Under "Charge information" and "Health information" you should see some stats about your battery.

3. GhostMac24, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I don't see system information under utilities. However, I did snap this screen grab from the power menu under the system profiler......

Attached Files:

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sorry, I don't remember if they changed the name of that utility in 10.7 or 10.8, but System Profiler and System Information are the same thing.

It looks like your battery is not charging at all. I would guess that something is wrong with the battery or the charging circuitry on your logic board.

Do you have access to another 85w AC adapter, just to try it? I really doubt that is the issue, but it's the easiest step to start with.

5. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Well, of course right after posting this, the MBP just charged to 100%! Not sure how long that will be before it stops charging the battery again. Battery status says 100% and 3:09 remaining.

My guess is at this point we are looking at a faulty cord or something internal. Looks like a trip to the Genius bar this weekend. Ugh.

6. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Just a quick update. Figured out why it is charging sometimes and not others.

Went by the Genius bar this morning and we noticed that it charges when the computer if totally shut down but when you fire it up, it stops charging (the light on the charging cable turns off completely). Pretty sure it's the small I/O board that houses the charging mechanism. The apple store does not stock not attempt to get those parts so I they suggested I swing by the local authorized Apple repair facility. It's a great little independent shop that has worked on my macs before. Just dropped it off with them. Only $55 to verify what the problem is and if I repair the $55 is applied to the cost of the repair.

Final update after I get it back.......

7. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Final Update.....

Got a call from the indy repair facility and the Genius was correct....The I/O charging board. The part is $85 and labor of $55 to install. Wheh! Was NOT in the mood to buy another laptop :eek: