wont charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotrod351, Jan 17, 2016.

1. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

i have a 2007 macbook pro that started giving me problems for the last year on charging. id have to wiggle the cord at the connection and that would help most of the time so i bought a new charger and that fixed the problem for a while, also replaced the messed up cord on the original charger. for the last couple weeks it started not charging at all and the battery would go down really really quick, i mean in a few minutes. question is if my battery is completely dead would that prevent my macbook pro from starting even with the charger connected. shouldnt it run just off the charger by itself.

2. Krubbadoo macrumors newbie

Something like this happened with my 2009 MBP. After hours and hours of reading and trying, I've found somewhere that MBP can accumulate static in their charger port and the guy recommended using a magnet just a few seconds on the dock port hole (you will feel the magnetic effect) and Dock connector (not plugged!). It curiously seems to fix my 'battery not-charging' problem I had for months. So every once in a while I have to do it again. Pretty weird trick I know but kinda works for me. I am able to full charge the battery and it also works perfectly when AC is on. Let me know if it helped you.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your MBP will throttle to about half the power if no battery is present, just buy it a new battery, it's the source of your problems.

4. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

wont hurt to try the magnet but figuring its the, after all should it at least power on with the charger plugged in and the battery in.
    DC Power Board

Attached Files: