Won't connect to wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, May 27, 2012.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

My macbook pro running 10.7.4 has had issues connecting to wifi ever since i came home from college two weeks ago. The router has the same ssid name (but different router) as I had in my apartment at school. I made sure to delete the old network in the settings.

When I wake my computer from sleep, the wifi signal will scroll through the bars (like when it is connecting) indefinitely. Eventually, I still haven't figured out how, I am able to disconnect, connect, and then reenter my wifi password.

I restarted my computer, cycled the router, deleted all networks from wifi, and deleted keychain entries from my computer, yet I still have the connection issue. It stays connected and works perfectly fine until I put the computer to sleep. Any suggestions?

A separate issue I am having with my computer is that it has been slowing down to it being unusable lately. I check my ram, and I notice that I have a ton of page ins and outs with no ram. I restart obviously, and then it works well again for a while. How can I find out what is eating up my ram? I don't see any applications that are using all too much, with the most being around 100mb out of my 4gb.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I realized that it will try to connect for a 2-3 minutes, then will just stop. On the second try, it will connect, I enter the password (that should be saved), and it will connect. Does this help?

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Do you have any wifi connection issues anywhere else other than home? If it's the home router, and only the home router that gives you a problem, it may be a bad router. I've had five-year old routers go bad on me, with interrupts and dropouts. Replaced them with Apple's wifi extreme and have had zero problems.

But this is just a guess. Could also be your macbook's airport card. Also depends on the type of router and security settings as well.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Follow the numbered steps in these instructions and post the screenshots.

5. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here you go. Please let me know. Anyone know why I would be having issues with the wifi?

Screen Shot 2012-05-29 at 6.38.04 PM.png

6. chown33 macrumors 604

Please try again. Pay attention to step #3.

The screen shot shows free ram, and insignificant page outs. Clearly, the condition "I have a ton of page ins and outs with no ram" isn't true at this time. Try making a screenshot again when the conditions are true.