won't download 8.1 over iTunes...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by benji888, Oct 21, 2014.

1. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

I can't find a thread on this, so if there is one, sorry....

I try to download 8.1, and it gets kbs or a few Mbs, and says how many hours it will take to download, and, even got a 9006 error once. I've had no problems downloading apps or any issues with my internet connection. The only thing is, I did a clean install of Yosemite, and I couldn't remember in my firewall settings if I had "Stealth Mode" on or not, but is is ON, that wouldn't be it?

I prefer to download and update via iTunes, less issues. I couldn't wait anymore for iPhone 6, so that has it, but, here we are 36 hours later and I still can't get it? Is the server really that bogged down?

2. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

I've never seen it this slow, except maybe the first few hours.

Attached Files:

3. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

I normally download them from my developer portal(even though I stopped paying for it). Seems like they allow non paying developers to download non beta ipsw files. I downloeded 8.1 here in the UK around 6pm (10am US I think) and didn't take me more than 20 mins (mind you that I've got a very poor connection at home). I always do this because I have to update two iPhones.

4. iRoRo, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

iRoRo macrumors regular

iRoRo

Do you have the recently updated iTunes 12? As there is no mention of it in your description of the problem..
    Edit: Yosemite ships with iTunes 12, my err

5. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

Almost 13 hours later...

Is this normal? I've never seen it take this long 2 days after release??

I have one more iOS device, I'll wait until next week, maybe it'll get better? (iPhone 5, now SIMless, iPod touch).

Don't you need a sign-in to get into the developer portal?

Attached Files:

6. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I just downloaded and installed IOS 8.1 on my iPad Air through iTunes on my iMac (in Yosemite) within the last half hour. No problem, took only a few minutes.

7. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

That's so odd, it still wants to take hours for my last iOS device, so I quit it. I have no problem downloading anything else w/iTunes, normal speed. I don't know what is up. :confused:

8. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Yes you have to. I paid for it once and registered as a developer but then stopped paying for it. So no more access to beta but I get all the public releases from the portal.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The IPSW links here are not related to jailbreaking in any way. Obviously, you didn't even check out the link. Thus your 13 hour ordeal ... (vs about 13 minutes from iPhone Wiki)

10. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

dhlizard, please read this:
    so, I have some weird issue going on.

I tried turning off the firewall. No difference.

I tried restarting the modem & router. Same results.

11. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

12. benji888 thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

I have done nothing different than before, I downloaded iOS 8.1.1 for 3 devices in less than 3 hrs time, this is normal. ...Updating iPad first, I've already backup up Mac, and updated it to os x 10.10.1.

Whatever was wrong with downloading iOS 8.1 seems to have been resolved. That was very odd, and frustrating.