WON'T FIT!

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
I previously posted and everyone agreed i would have no problem installing a pioneer 109 dvd+rw drive into my G5, I took the old out, and stuck the new in and the height of the tray does not match up with the opening on the G5 case and it wont open. I took the screws out that holds the drive in place, and it lowered it enough so that tray can come out the front, but it is not secure. Am I going to run into any problems with this? I tried to rip a dvd to see if it worked and it ran fine, but i am curious. Any help would be great :S !

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
UK
kjdenison said:
I previously posted and everyone agreed i would have no problem installing a pioneer 109 dvd+rw drive into my G5, I took the old out, and stuck the new in and the height of the tray does not match up with the opening on the G5 case and it wont open. I took the screws out that holds the drive in place, and it lowered it enough so that tray can come out the front, but it is not secure. Am I going to run into any problems with this? I tried to rip a dvd to see if it worked and it ran fine, but i am curious. Any help would be great :S !
Did you buy the OEM drive or the branded Pioneer one? Last night I installed an OEM 109 drive in my PowerMac G4 with no problems. The OEM drives have smaller front bezels. You might be able to take the bezel off to give more clearance, or at the very least you can unclip the tray bezel (push upwards I think and it comes off easily).

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
The drive is a Pioneer DVR-109 i picked it up through newegg. What is the bezel? and how should I go about getting it corrected?

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
Oh alright. i dont see how that will change the height of the drive though? Im waiting for this disc to finish and I am going to take it out though. THANKS

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
kjdenison said:
Oh alright. i dont see how that will change the height of the drive though? Im waiting for this disc to finish and I am going to take it out though. THANKS
The plastic part can be just a bit taller than the rest of the drive. And because you are mounting it inside your computer, you won't care about the looks.

kjdenison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Chicago, IL
thank you yippy for the link and not bombarding me with poor posting skills comments. I will start putting in spaces in between my comments and not truly express myself by using the caps, sorry for being myself, but I know how to change that quite well.

Thanks everyone who helped out, I really appreciate it a lot.

Kurt
www.kurtdenison.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.