wont let me save a modified plist?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaKyd55, Jul 24, 2010.

1. DaKyd55 macrumors member

i modified the plist for itunes genre artwork and tried o save it but it says that it cannot be saved. for the record i added another genre with artwork and i had already tried to duplicate it but the duplicate button was gray and uncickable. help?! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

What app are you using to edit the file, and which iTunes plist file are you editing, e.g., the exact path? I use PlistEdit Pro for editing.

3. DaKyd55 thread starter macrumors member

i was using text edit and it was genres.plist to get there i went applications-itunes-show package contents-resources-genres.plist:apple::apple::apple::apple:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It sounds like you don't have the proper permission for editing that file. Try this: copy the file you want to edit to your Desktop, edit the copy on your Desktop, save it, copy it back to where you found it, it'll ask you for your password, click "Replace". That's all.

5. DaKyd55 thread starter macrumors member

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'll need to restart iTunes for it to reread the plist file. It may take a computer restart. Recheck the plist after saving to ensure the changes stuck.