Won't make that beginner mistake again

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sprtnbsblplya, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sprtnbsblplya macrumors regular

Ever go somewhere with the intention of getting some good shots, and when you click the shutter the first time, "No Memory Card"?
    First time I did that happened today. In the car an hour to go out in the sunshine and play with my new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, first shot, no memory card. I left it in my MBP from earlier today.
    Won't be doing that again.

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Edit: I forgot that you guys are all semi-professional photographers, not juniors high school.

3. npropes macrumors member

The only problem with this is DSLR's generate huge picture files in excess of 10MB each.

As to the OP, I've done the same thing as well. I've also accidentally left my camera on a higher ISO and ended up with crappy looking pictures of some really cool shots.

4. sprtnbsblplya thread starter macrumors regular

Isn't the learning and trial-and-error process fun?

Corndog - It's a DSLR, they don't include on board memory.

5. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Each evening, after shooting: download cards and reformat... recharge batteries for tomorrow...

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Multiple cards help, too. I generally run around with eight 2GB cards (I prefer multiple, smaller cards in case one gets lost/damaged/corrupted). Sometimes I'll leave one sticking out of my iMac, or in another camera body, but I always have at least a couple on me at any time.

This is for casual shooting, mind you. For weddings and other paid work I obsessively check and check again that my cards are empty, batteries charged, lenses clean, etc.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I always have a few cards in my pocket. Every few months I forget to charge a battery, but I've generally got at least three that will take a fair number of shots. I keep a charger and inverter in the vehicle too, so it's usually just a mild inconvenience- and since my newer batteries last longer it's rarer these days than it used to be too.

Paul

8. cparktd macrumors member

Yep, done that. And you will likely do it again! LOL!

Use an old smaller card or buy a spare and hide it in your bag or car...
    Think insurance.

9. jabbott macrumors 6502

I always keep a small 1GB card in my camera case in the event that I forget my 32GB one. It's cheap insurance. ;)

10. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Was an idiot once and ran out the door without any of my cards. Luckily, Adorama was a few blocks away from the event. Can't have too many memory cards.

11. Shymcfly macrumors member

Done this a few times but my hang up is summer time lens fogging. Went to myrtle beach a few months back. 105 degree days means the ac was below seventy. Up thirty mins before sunrise. First glimmer of light, fogged lens. Missed the whole sunrise.

12. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Yep, done it a few years back... Think it will be the last time too as every time since I've checked to make sure I've had memory cards with me.

Not such an issue since I got the D300s though as I always leave the CF card in and read from the SD cards... worst case scenario I end up with just 8GB of CF to shoot to.

13. sprtnbsblplya thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna snag some more 2gb or 4gb cards once the sticker shock of my new lens and pack wears off. Still using the single 4gb I bought when I got the camera.

14. advres Guest

advres

I went out without a battery so how's that? :eek:

Now I keep 2 batts, 4 cards, a vari-ND filter and a charger in my bag at all times.

15. Presha macrumors regular

Why reformat after each shoot? Please explain. Does anyone else do this as well? Is there an advantage to doing so?

Thx!

16. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Maybe he only has one card and it is kinda small.

17. Gold89 macrumors 6502

The other worst mistake is to find you've been shooting in bright daylight and left the ISO at 1600 all day :mad:

18. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yep, all my cards are reformatted after downloading the pictures. Reformatting wipes the space clean and registers the available space to the camera. Plus it lets me know everything is alright with the cards.

19. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

This reminds me of the time that I used an external harddrive to backup my computer once a week for close to a year. When I needed those backups, it turned out the drive had been busted for at least 4 months.

20. advres Guest

advres

You didn't chimp once to see your shots?

EDIT - nevermind... you could be shooting film.

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

In the days of film.

I was shooting BW with a heavy red filter, and switched to colour. Got half way through a roll before I noticed. The sign of a true professional is not whether they make a mistake or not, but whether the client ever knows. I would like to think on that day I managed to get the client to re-do those poses without giving my ooops away. And that they never noticed the big red circle where the lense was supposed to be.

That is one of the things I like about digital.... some mistakes you can see as you make them. :D

22. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Not done that one...

Done that one, several times.

Done that one too...took two flat batteries out :eek:

Yep, that one too.

23. npropes macrumors member

I took over 400 shots while on vacation at ISO 1600...before I realized that my shutter speed was 1/5000. I screwed up some wonderful shots of a falconry exhibition.

24. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

This is what I do. First, I don't want to rely on the cards to store images so I pull them off ASAP. Second, formatting the cards will find any card errors before you attempt to use them. Formatting also is my signal that the pictures have been pulled off the card and it's ready to go.

I also have collected all sorts of memory cards over the years that I keep in my camera bag. If I do forget the main set of cards I use I'll at least have something to work with.

25. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

This is what I did on my last trip. Luckily I changed the ISO that night so not much damage was done...but still...wasted a few great shots.