Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I'm just curious as to why my spell check doesn't flag wont. If I try to write dont and not don't, I get a nice little red underline under dont. There it goes again. :p

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Wont is a word, as is won't.

There's a magical book called a dictionary where you can look up works, it'll tell you what they mean.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It is not your wont to use a dictionary. I won't answer your question beyond that.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
from Dictionary;
wont |wônt; w?nt| adjective [ predic. ] poetic/literary (of a person) in the habit of doing something; accustomed : he was wont to arise at 5:30 every morning.

it's one of those words which people never use any more.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
You people are unreal; I guess you didn't understand the question. :rolleyes:

won't = will not

don't = do not

Why is Safari spell check underlining dont and not wont?

I can't ask the question anymore simpler than that.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I can't ask the question anymore simpler than that.
And Scarlet Fever can't answer it anymore simple than that:

rom Dictionary;
Quote:
wont |wônt; w?nt| adjective [ predic. ] poetic/literary (of a person) in the habit of doing something; accustomed : he was wont to arise at 5:30 every morning.
it's one of those words which people never use any more.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
You people are unreal; I guess you didn't understand the question. :rolleyes:

Wont is a word.

Won't is a different word.

Hence, the spellchecker doesn't correct it.

Just like its and it's are different words. :rolleyes:

Conversely "dont" is not a word, so it gets flagged.

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
MACDRIVE, it's the kind of error that would get flagged if you were using a program's "grammar" check, but not spell check, for the reason outlined above.

But really, these kinds of typos are the most difficult to spot, and I personally find it much easier to print my entire piece of work out and go through it with an nice red pen the old fashioned way. Think of this as a great opportunity to learn a new word! Wont is quite a cool, esoteric one. SAT word, even. You can use it in conversation and watch people look confused at you. Excellent word!

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
MACDRIVE, it's the kind of error that would get flagged if you were using a program's "grammar" check, but not spell check, for the reason outlined above.

But really, these kinds of typos are the most difficult to spot, and I personally find it much easier to print my entire piece of work out and go through it with an nice red pen the old fashioned way. Think of this as a great opportunity to learn a new word! Wont is quite a cool, esoteric one. SAT word, even. You can use it in conversation and watch people look confused at you. Excellent word!

I use it and others occasionally and get stares. Just using the word that pops to mind at the moment. The problem with wont and won't is the meaning is rather different. Almost opposite.

/Getting ready to board the plane to WWDC

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
I use it and others occasionally and get stares. Just using the word that pops to mind at the moment. The problem with wont and won't is the meaning is rather different. Almost opposite.
I imagine regional phonetics would flavor how 'wont' and 'won't' are spoken. Being originally from midwestern U.S., I'd be wont to pronounce 'wont' as 'want'.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
My wife sometimes teaches Flowers for Algernon to her eighth grade literature classes. One year she gave them a test that included the question, "How did Charlie know that the treatment was wearing off?". One student's answer was: "Because he couldn't spell write." :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.