Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
i get the warning "Up" was not copied to "name's ipad" because it cannot be played on this ipad.

I have like 30 movies and the only one that works is forrest gump

They are all 720p movies, so most are like 1280 x 720 (some 528 and 544)

there all .mp4 and are in itunes and play in front row great.

Anybody have any suggestions

oh and i tried to use the itunes convert to ipad format and it makes a small movie file (like 80mb) with only audio, and that syncs but usualy enjoy watching a movie with my eyes open;)

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Question...what's with the extra characters in the subject line, kiiinddd offff liiiikkkee thiiiisss?

My fiances r3tarded relatives do this and Im just wondering what up?

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I copied my "Disney Digital" copy of UP to my iPad last night and it works fine. I wish I had a way to copy my Wall-E bluray to the iPad :(

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Idk why i added the extra characters, i just did:rolleyes:

But seriously,

I got all of the 3 .m4v and the rest are .mp4, and only one of them sync,

The rest don't sync at all, itunes says it incompatible with the ipad, its really frusterating

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
:p
just handbrake for all of them

Here is info on one that didn't work
Up.mp3
Kind: MPEG-4 movie
Size: 1.73 GB on disk (1,727,567,687 bytes)
Dimension: 1280 × 690
Codecs: H.264, MPEG 4 High Efficiency AAC
Total bit rate: 2,388

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
:p
just handbrake for all of them

Here is info on one that didn't work
Up.mp3
Kind: MPEG-4 movie
Size: 1.73 GB on disk (1,727,567,687 bytes)
Dimension: 1280 × 690
Codecs: H.264, MPEG 4 High Efficiency AAC
Total bit rate: 2,388

Why do you have it named as a .mp3?

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
I ripped 100+ of my DVDs using handbrake with the appletv setting. Most of them will not download to my iPad with the same error message. If I stream them using air video, or download them using goodreader, then the iPad will actually play them. I hope apple fixes iTunes.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I ripped 100+ of my DVDs using handbrake with the appletv setting. Most of them will not download to my iPad with the same error message. If I stream them using air video, or download them using goodreader, then the iPad will actually play them. I hope apple fixes iTunes.

Yea since they won't since i'm using air video, but i won't always have the internet and i would sure enjoy to have a few movies on hand

GreenTentacle

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
iPad only handles certain H264 profiles. It tops out at 1280x720 at HighProfile 3.1.

If you have a mac, get mediainfo and check your files with it-- if it's higher than HighProfile 3.1, you'll need to re-encode. Both "AppleTV" and "High Profile" settings work in Handbrake, as long as you dont go over the 720p size limit.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Also look at your audio bit rate. It can't be higher than 160kbps.

I think that may be my problem, the bit rate on the one movie that synced was much lower.

Hmm is their an easy way to lower the bit rate, or am I going to have to handbrake all of these movies again?

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
iPad only handles certain H264 profiles. It tops out at 1280x720 at HighProfile 3.1.

If you have a mac, get mediainfo and check your files with it-- if it's higher than HighProfile 3.1, you'll need to re-encode. Both "AppleTV" and "High Profile" settings work in Handbrake, as long as you dont go over the 720p size limit.

I've seen this, but i think the problem lies with iTunes. The iPad is capable of playing these files once they are on the device (via goodreader for example). Itunes is just refusing to download them.

I've found using the apple universal setting in handbrake works, but i am not going to re encode my library. I'm hoping an easier solution becomes available at some point.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I think that may be my problem, the bit rate on the one movie that synced was much lower.

Hmm is their an easy way to lower the bit rate, or am I going to have to handbrake all of these movies again?

Supposedly AirVideo app (it is $3) and the server part you download to your computer will convert them for you. I have it but haven't tried it yet. But I can stream higher bit rate files using it.

My new handbrake set up includes another trac in it that is 160kbps and the iPad seems to play either one. You can choose which trac in the video app to play. Need to look into it more to see what it is doing and make sure it isn't defaulting back to the 160kbps trac.

I plan on testing out the conversion part of AirVideo sometime this week. Not sure if the free version does it as well.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Supposedly AirVideo app (it is $3) and the server part you download to your computer will convert them for you. I have it but haven't tried it yet. But I can stream higher bit rate files using it.

My new handbrake set up includes another trac in it that is 160kbps and the iPad seems to play either one. You can choose which trac in the video app to play. Need to look into it more to see what it is doing and make sure it isn't defaulting back to the 160kbps trac.

I plan on testing out the conversion part of AirVideo sometime this week. Not sure if the free version does it as well.

Well the desktop server app that does the conversion is the same and technicly free, the one only difference between the paid and free app is the iPad free app only shows like 4 movies in a folder.

ReviewPC

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
USA
I used handbrake setting "Apple Universal" with zero issues moving some of the movies (that I didn't already have digital copies in iTunes). Worked great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.