won't recognize my simpletech harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by muymal, Jun 24, 2008.

1. muymal macrumors member

So today, i got a warning message from time machine saying it's past 10 days blah blah, so i plugged it my external harddrive to back up my stuff. At first, it recognized it and i thought it was backing up since i saw that logo turning counterclockwise.

Then when it stopped turning, i just close the lid of my MBP (btw running leopard) to eat dinner. When i came back and opened the lid, it says "improper removal of blah blah" but it was still plugged in. so i unplugged it.

Later, i saw that the exclamation mark is still there inside the time machine logo, so i plugged the hd back in but now nothing shows up.

i have a simpletech hard drive
    running MBP leopard, the latest.

don't know what other info i need to provide, just tell me
    thank you very much for reading and helping out!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm assuming that the external is USB here. Leaving the external connected, reboot the Mac. The external should show up again, and TM should do its thing.

3. apex33 macrumors newbie

Simpletech 250gb

I had a similar issue with my Simpletech 250gb external (2.5 inch drive)

The issue in my case was that the USB card had became loose. Most likely from the design, which pins the board to one end of the case, but does not secure the drive.

I opened the drive, plugged it in firmly and reclosed the case. Works now.

Hope this helps all who have this drive.

4. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

It could have given the device removal message because you also may have put your computer to sleep by closing the lid. I've had device removal messages from when I'd turn on my LAMP on my desk.

5. msquared.81 macrumors newbie

Same Problem....

I'm having a similar issue with my simpltech 250 HD. About a week ago the drive was connected when I shut down my computer before heading to work. When I got back from work I had to to run to the store and packed my computer with me. Without thinking I simply unplugged the HD and took off. It hasn't show back up on my computer since. I'm on an extended business trip for several months and NEED the music and movies on the HD...please help...

Matt

6. pmcb macrumors member

have these issues been resolved ever? i'm experiancing it with a 160gb drive, randomly disconnected improperly and havnt seen it since...