Won't Start - Failed Upgrade

Macinstall11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
The MacBook Pro was running on Yosemite, I tried upgrading it to High Sierra (latest compatible version with this laptop)

I came an hour later to a message that basically stated the upgrade failed, I clicked on restart.

Now it boots and on the upper left corner on the screen it says a bunch of stuff along "Mac Os Version Not Yet Set", then it changes into a message "Your computer restarted because of a problem."

What do I do?

Macinstall11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
Not nessesarily, it could still be there. You don’t have to reformat the drive.

Then again, are you saying that you don’t have a backup??
No I don't, my mistake I honestly didn't expect such thing to happen lol

Ok so I made it to Recovery System or something like that, what do I do? I don't want to reformat it

Macinstall11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
I used Command + R, to enter recovery mode, is that the correct one?
[doublepost=1542831995][/doublepost]
safe mode is our friend today
Ok I turned it off, how do I do safe mode?
[doublepost=1542832363][/doublepost]Doesn't allow me to enter safe mode, if I remove the HDD and connect it as externa drive can I access the files?

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
No I don't, my mistake I honestly didn't expect such thing to happen lol
Yeah, always do backups before installing large updates. In fact, scrap that, always do backups ;)

You can try the safe mode thing but I doubt it will work as it seems your base install has gone bad. You can reinstall macOS without erasing your data by following the instructions on this Apple support document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Macinstall11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
You can reinstall macOS without erasing your data.
I'm already on it, but I have this feeling it may fail once again.

If it does, could I just remove the drive and access it's files by connecting it as an external drive?

Would that work? I was going to put an SSD in it anyways, the files are the important thing