Won't start-up after installing new RAM.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dal123, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

:confused:
    I've got a powerbook 17" and just upgraded my RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB so I'm now at maximum capacity for this model. Everything works fine except I've noticed it won't start-up sometimes.
    I have to disconnect the battery up to ten times (If I'm unlucky, usually just a few times) then it will load up. Sometimes I get the start-up sound but no joy. It sounds like it's running and gets warm. Also when I turn it to sleep it won't come back on but stays warm.
    Firstly I thought I did not screw the back plate down properly and maybe the battery was not connecting properly. This is not the case. The battery itself is also fine. So I'm guessing it is the RAM. But I made sure I bought the correct specifications. What can I do?
    I don't want to take it to a shop to get fixed because they'll charge me an arm and a leg and probably won't fix it anyway. Anyone got any solutions for me as it is starting to bug me.
    Thanks
    :confused:

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Which configuration of the RAM you have now? 2x1GB?
    I'll try removing the new ram stick and see if it boot with it. Then retry with the new one alone installed. What's the result?

3. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

2 X 1 GB sticks, I'll try what you suggested and let you know the outcome, Don't have my screwdrivers right now. Give it a go tonight.
    Thanks for input.

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

it sounds like a stick of bad ram, or that one of the ram modules is not seated properly/squarely. often it takes a fair bit of pressure to make sure they are in right. be careful, but before you take one out to test, maybe check that they are both firmly in place too.

5. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Sticks are seated properly.

I took the computer apart last night and tried starting her up from different combinations with the ram (Took the one that was in the top slot, put it into the opposite slot, took the other out and vice versa).
    Checked the ram, by clicking the apple top left of screen and it said RAM ok. Both sticks are the same format 2700 PC SO DIMM RAM etc. Since inserting it seems a bit better but still will not sleep.
    Goes to sleep, if you leave it for ten mins then click a few buttons it sounds like it fires up again but does not. Have to turn it off by button or take battery out. So the computer is not shutting down properly, this must be bad for it so I don't sleep it, if I need it off for half our or something I just shut down and turn it on later.
    Thanks for input.

6. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

ok if the RAM is recognised, then you could try running -

http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/

Rember is basically a GUI for "memtest"

See if memtest/rember finds any errors. Leave it testing for a few hours (at least)

7. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman