wont start

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by threepointonefo, Jun 15, 2007.

1. threepointonefo macrumors newbie

i know that im a noob and this is my first post, but i have a mac powerbook g3..and its been running good until about 2 weeks ago it wouldnt turn on, so i took the battery out and d/c the ac cable and let it go for a little bit put it all back together and the green light came on for about 3 seconds then turned off. nothing came on the screen. and the power button was functionless. so i really dont know what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks alot,

bryan

2. bleachthru macrumors member

bleachthru

I am sorry to hear about your powerbook, I love the old G3 models, I still use my PISMO everyday. There are a few things that come to mind in your situation.

The first would be the display, is the cpu actually booting? If so, your LCD might have gone bad, which is not uncommon given it is at the least 7 years old. Did any part of the display ever have a pink hue, then it would go away after a while? If so that is a sign that the cathodes are going bad. Best way to test this would be to hook it up to an external VGA and re-boot. Along these same lines the inverter board sending signal to your LCD could have gone bad as well, the same test might help pin point the problem.

Second I would check power issues. Since you had a green light for a second you say, it is entirely possible that the cpu stopped getting power and the battery is now dead, so the machine will not boot, this could be due to a bad power supply, but most likely it would be a bad powerboard internally which is what recieves the power from the adapter, best way to test this would be to charge your battery elsewhere and see if it boots off the battery, this would narrow you down to one of these two problems.

If you upgraded your RAM recently, it could be a bad stick, or one not properly seated, this will cause the G3 to not boot.

lastly, and hopefully not your problem is the motherboard could have gone bad which does happen randomly sometimes, can be caused by random power surges (always plug your laptop into a surge protector, they make small ones that are easy to take with you) And it is almost a decade old, which one really can't complain too much about, I use mine everyday. Infact, I am typing on one right now, the old G3 laptops are real workhorses.

The good news, with apple making all sorts of speedy advances recently in laptop processor technology the price of the old G3s has dropped significantly, parts are cheap, and on these old machines, they are individually replaceable. If you already have some good parts, you can often find complete old books for cheap, maybe one non working part, make the swap, and you then have a great machine with a bunch of spare parts. Like I said these old machines are workhorses, a ton of people are still selling parts for them on ebay and what not. I would suggest taking it into an apple, store but you will most likely get a bunch of confused looks...I had once asked if they had a VGA to DB 15 adapter, or if they could order one, and the guy said "huh" then proceeded to argue with me saying I needed a DVI to VGA adapter....a very frustrating experience. So I now stick to the internet, college dumpsters, or non apple owned apple stores, as they tend to have much more competent repair people, that have been doing it long enough to know what you are talking about.

Good Luck, I hope this helps!