Won't startup from disk after replacing hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sixstringstrum, May 27, 2011.

1. sixstringstrum macrumors newbie

Hey there,
    After yet another of my hard drives apparently died on me (according to the opinion of the Apple Store Genius who took a look at my Macbook), I bought a new one and replaced it. After trying to start up my Macbook, I still only get a flashing question mark folder, as if the computer can't find a disk to boot from. This is the case even with the install disk in, however, and is not resolved by trying any of the alternate start up methods. Eventually, the computer either ejects the disk, flashes the same symbol, or both. Without even be able to check the status of the hardware, I'm not sure what steps to take next. I can schedule another appointment at the Genius bar, but would much prefer to be able to take care of the issue sooner by myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

Since you installed the HDD yourself, try backtracking your steps. It could be that you accidentally unplugged something, or knocked something out of whack in there. What model of Macbook do you have?