Won't stop shuffling music

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zaqzyp, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Zaqzyp, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Zaqzyp macrumors newbie

On my iPod Nano 4G you can
    -shuffle songs
    -shuffle albums
    -turn off shuffle and play songs in order

I know have a iPod Touch 4G.
    "Shake to shuffle" is off.
    It's not jailbroken, it's updated to latest firmware.

I start with shuffling all songs.
    When I "turn off" shuffle (tapping album art and making the shuffle icon white) the _only_ thing that happens is that the music count changes from "1 of 2469" (shuffle on) to "2353 of 2469" (shuffle off). It'll still keep shuffling songs.
    If I press "track list" and press next it'll play a random song (with shuffle off).
    The only way I can keep songs from shuffling is pressing a song in the track list (pressing current song won't do), but then it'll just play that album to the end and stop playing music.

I've read the manual, but if I'm not missing something a grey icon should do what I want. Which is "iPod touch is set to play songs in order". It doesn't. It's still shuffle songs.

Do I need to do a restore?

An offtopic question. Does the Touch have an additional "screen protection" (i.e. one you remove from new hardware) layer except the one with the icons? It looks like that but maybe it's just that the way the screen looks at the edges.

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I suggest doing a restore. The shuffling is most likely a software issue. :)

--

"An offtopic question. Does the Touch have an additional "screen protection" (i.e. one you remove from new hardware) layer except the one with the icons? It looks like that but maybe it's just that the way the screen looks at the edges. "

I'm sure when they did, but lately Apple has been shipping iPod touches with only that screen sticker that shows a fake homescreen and that's it, unlike the iPhones and iPads that come with a clear wrapping over them.

3. Zaqzyp thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Bring it in to Apple and show them what's going on and they'll help you out. :)

5. Zaqzyp, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Zaqzyp thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no Apple stores in Sweden. Anyway, seems no point to get it exchanged/visit the store as it seems it's a software issue. Or I'm missing something how the player works. E.g. took a while before I figured out how to easily turn off shuffle on the iPod Nano.

6. jonrando macrumors 6502a

If it was a software issue, a restore would've fixed it. Did you restore from backup or setup as new?

7. Zaqzyp thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't use a backup, so it installed 4.3.4 right away.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

9. Zaqzyp thread starter macrumors newbie

10. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Not sure if this will help, but I found it on another site and it fixed other peoples shuffling issue.

11. Zaqzyp thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhm, that's what my first post is about which I've tried and it doesn't work.

12. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I'm really not sure what to tell you, unfortunately. I've never had this issue or seen it before so I can't really help here.

Sorry. :(

13. Zaqzyp thread starter macrumors newbie

As I guessed it wasn't a bug.

On the Nano if you turn on shuffle, it shuffles all songs. If you turn it off the next song will be a song in the same album. Then when that album is played, it'll play next album of the same artist if there's any, i.e. it'll play albums in alphabetical order.

On the Touch turning shuffle off (if you've started "shuffle songs") it'll play songs in alphabetical order.

Quit a difference if you're used to the Nano and IMO much worse. Even iTunes does it the normal way.

Ah it wasy easy, I just added all songs to a playlist and it works the way I want. :)