Won't transfer ringtone from iTunes to my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Patmn, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Patmn macrumors member

Last week I purchased three ringtones from iTunes directly from my iPhone and when I synced up my iPhone to my Mac just now, it removed those ringtones off my phone but now I can't figure out how to get them back on! I can see those ringtones in iTunes on my Mac but when I tell it to sync those ringtones back to my phone they never show up. What am I doing wrong?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you accidentally deselected them from syncing in iTunes?

3. Patmn thread starter macrumors member

Nope, in my ITunes menu it's still check marked to sync ringtones. I've tried doing sync selected ringtones (and it shows those three tones there and they are check marked too) and I've also tried "sync all ringtones" but no matter what I do those new ringtones never show up on my phone. :confused:

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Please don't take this as patronsing but are you looking in the correct place on your iPhone? (Im sure you are but just want to check)

settings>sounds>ringtones

5. Patmn thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I'm looking for them there, but they just aren't showing up anymore. When I had those extra three ring tones on my phone, they showed up in a separate section (I believe that section was titled "purchased from iTunes" or something to that effect) just above the default ring tones.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Ok this may work, and involves deleting the .acc version from your iTunes and adding an .m4r version.

1. Navigate to the ringtone in your iTunes music folder, locate the song, and drag it to your desktop. After the song is on your desktop go back to iTunes and delete the clipped version from you iTunes library (It won't delete it from your desktop, it will only remove it from iTunes).

2. Go back the song on your desktop and right click on your song and chose "Properties" or "Get info" depending on your OS. Go to the name and extension section and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r

3. After the extension is changed simply double click on the file to add it to your iTunes library under the ringtones section. Sync your phone with iTunes and hopefully maybe you will have some success.

7. Patmn thread starter macrumors member

These files are already .m4r files though

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OK this is something I found on a different forum.

Not sure if it will work though.

9. Patmn thread starter macrumors member

It worked!! Thank you so much, you are awesome!

10. macfan60 macrumors newbie

See if any of these steps solve your problem.

Nevermind:)

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^^^
    RTFT. Post above yours from OP says he fixed his problem.

12. jizamkz macrumors newbie

Still need help...

I followed the steps about deauthorizing and authorizing my iTunes, but it still didn't transfer my ringtones from iTunes to my iPhone. My ringtones were created no Garageband 5.1.

Suggestions anyone???

13. jizamkz macrumors newbie

False alarm, I just simply updated to the latest version of iTunes and it worked =P

14. Foreveranewbie macrumors newbie

Ah, hello all.
    I'm having similar issues- I recently purchased ringtones and although they show up on my iPhone, they only show up in the music section. I've read through this thread and tried everything I've seen here, but nothing seems to work. When I try to update iTunes, it tells me I have the most recent version.
    Any suggestions? :confused:

15. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Check the extension. Those "purchased" ringtones may not be in the iPhone .m4r format. Fortunately, there are programs including free ones like Audacity that can convert them to AAC .m4a format, then just rename it to .m4r BUT delete the old files from iTunes first or it might get confused.

16. Foreveranewbie macrumors newbie

Boy, I feel kind of dumb.
    I messed with them a bit, and almost downloaded Audacity, but noticed that there was an option on iTunes to convert to AAC, so I did what you said and it worked! Thanks so much!

17. fyoz macrumors newbie

I've done all suggestions on this thread and I'm still having issues.

I see the ringtones here on this authorized computer. I purchased them a while ago on my iPhone. I believe when I did my first "transfer purchases" onto this machine it was then when they disappeared off my iPhone yet remaining on my machine.

All other purchases and such are fine, I just can't get my ringtones back on my phone.

Can you treat them like apps and redownload them without a cost?

18. sleann1970 macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you so much for the comment about reactivating and activating computer it worked to get my all my stuff back on my phone

19. Famexcess macrumors newbie

Hey i downloaded 3 ring/texttones from an app called " ringtone remix" & they are in my itunes "tones" library but they won't sync into my ipod. Help ?

20. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Do you have ringtone sync enabled?
    If you are manually managing your music, you need to drag the ringtones yourself. Otherwise, enabling the sync option should fix your problem.