Wont turn on, always goes to recovery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by landlord, Mar 10, 2010.

1. landlord macrumors newbie

Have a 32gb ipod touch. OS 3.1.3
    Had it jailbroken for a while, but when ever i turn it off, it wouldnt turn back on. Used to just reboot it always, but that has stopped working.
    So I restored the ipod to OS 3.1.3, and the problem has not gone away. If I leave music on pause, or (what i found out today) even when playing music, the ipod turns off and wont turn back on. Even with reboot.
    So it wont turn on after it turns off by either me or just randomly.
    Everyday I come home and have to restore it, and sync all my music again. Getting really frustrating.
    When the problem started occuring first, it was in warranty so sent it to apple but they said they could not find this problem i was talking about so sent it back. But now its out of warranty.
    Any ideas whats going on with it? I presume its software rather than hardware?

Thanks in advance

2. Hoot69 macrumors newbie

Try on Windows PC

I had issues with an older iPod that were similar. Nothing I did on the Mac made a difference.

I took it to our PC, where it was recognized and "updated". Hooked it back up to the Mac, restored it and all is well.

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

When you restored, did you try setting it up as a new device rather than from a backup?

4. landlord thread starter macrumors newbie

5. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Unless the iPod Touch is 2nd generation, I don't believe that you jailbroke it. There are no jailbreaks for the iPod Touch 3g's, but you might have a 2g. I would say that you should just buy a new one. You should've taken a video and sent it to them, that's what I would've done. :D :apple:

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Oy vey. You absolutely CAN jailbreak a 3G Touch on 3.1.2. I've been using one for months. What you can't have right now on any firmware version is a 3G Touch with an untethered jailbreak. Please try to be more informed before spouting off so rudely.

7. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Excuse me? He stated on his post that he had his iPod Touch with OS 3.1.3 with a jailbreak, which is not possible. I have my facts straight, you, sir, are the rude one in this conversation.

8. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

He said he HAS an iPod Touch with 3.1.3, and a few lines later mentions that this is the result of a restore. Nowhere does he say that he ever had it jailbroken and on 3.1.3 at the same time. And since you're correct that there's no way to jailbreak a 3G touch on 3.1.3, I inferred that he must have been on 3.1.2 before the restore.

In retrospect, the OP was slightly unclear about his situation. However, you could have asked for clarification, but instead you accused him of lying.

9. metalhead777 macrumors regular

I never accused him of lying. If he was clear about the situation, we wouldn't be quarreling over this.

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Then we are in agreement :) Apologies for sounding harsh; I was very tired yesterday morning.