Woo! Another iBook Clamshell

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, May 18, 2016.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Today, I received a very nice gift from my bosses's boss. The head honcho. A Tangerine Clamshell!!

Only things missing:
    * Battery
    * CD Drive Cover

Only flaws:
    * Cracking around Apple Logo
    * Bottom is beat up
    * Hinge/handle has hairline cracks.

Still, very nice! Glad to have a nice duo of rarities. Currently installing OS 9, which was in the CD drive :)

2. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

A nice addition. The cracks unfortunately are common on the earlier model. It may be worth attacking the base with a Magic Eraser (not to damp) to remove any unsightly marks.

3. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Thanks for the tip. My later model does not have the cracking. I feel lucky to own two, both in really decent shape. I'll try the Magic Eraser!

4. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Nice gift you received, can't beat the price of 0! It really seems that the Clamshells, especially the earlier "ice" models, are sadly plagued with most things you describe. While plastic cracking only really happens on the "ice" models, I've noticed the drive doors just have the tendency to start popping out over time. My Tangerine has it out a bit, the Indigo less and the Graphite's drive door sits flush. No idea why they move outwards, but I guess that caused the one on the Tangerine to pop off and go missing, which is awfully common amongst Clamshells. Just like the logo popping out. Apple did fix the plastic cracking with the newer "white" models, which is great. Though on my both white models I've noticed slight discolouration underneath the rubber on the bottom side, which is kinda worrying.
    I mean, as durable as they are, Clamshells just don't age that well, it seems. Even with the slight damages, they look great and I love them, but I still wish they looked more like new.
    The lack of a battery really isn't a big deal since the original would've been long dead by now, I know that for a fact because all mine are 100% flat ;)

5. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Well, I could recell the batteries :), something portable like that would be fun. I hear ya on the appearance. I like to pride myself on having museum-quality computers, but I feel ashamed when something like that is messed up...

6. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

I was wondering if the charger for the iBook G4 works with the iBook G3 (Clamshell) ?

7. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

No, it's a bit smaller.