Woo hoo! Won a Newton Messaging Card!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Forced Perfect, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

2. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

can't you just text message?...i've never heard of one of these things but i would think its easier to send texts on a cell phone

3. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

It's not text messaging as it is now, it's a pager. You know those things that would beep and only show you a phone number? Although this is an alphanumeric pager and can send what one might call a text message, although they aren't quite the same.

4. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Perhaps this will clear it up a little.

The Newton Messaging Card allows Newton to work like a pager. It connects to existing wide-area paging systems, allowing numeric and text messages to be received. With the Messaging Card, Newton can receive information such as meeting confirmations, news and other services.

[​IMG]

5. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

so you would have to pay a monthly fee to use it ???

6. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

1: Apple Wireless Messaging Service, which handled the voice mail, paging, etc. has been dead for the better part of a decade.

2: Even if I could get it activated (I probably could if I called around), it's so out of date that it would probably be some $50 a month custom service just to have the functions of a primitive text message.

I have no intention of using it outside the Newton - meaning taking screen shots of its software, photos of the hardware and writing a nice article for it on http://www.forcedperfect.net/ for historical reasons.

7. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

so its just for a collection, thats cool i never seen one sept in a youtube video and never really knew how one worked.

now i know how it works. also a nice convo piece

8. awmazz macrumors 65816

Nice addition to your collection! The box looks in decent shape too. Congrats.

9. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

Actually as the auction link shows, my card only comes with the manual. I found that photo elsewhere to help the other guy figure out what the card is. But even finding one with the manual is hard. I've never seen one for sale with the box before. :p

10. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

wow that is a nice collection of stuff in that link in your post

i have a few things myself i should take pics of, a Orange micro PC 660 (AMD 46-2 333mhz), a 7" Apple dos compatibility card ( cyrix 586 100mhz ) , a 12" Apple dos compatibility card ( P1 166mhz) , books and manuals for the Apple dos cards, monitor cables for the dos compatibility cards, driver disks for the OM PC 660 and both Apple cards, a few other cables for the dos cards. i dont have nearly as much as you do , i did get all 3 cards for free just for the price of shipping which was $18 USD.

that newton messaging service card is a nice find and a good addition to any collection. i just recently bought a newton MP 2100 and a lucent wavelan silver and i love it to death. the newton is still a very capable machine for its age. it does suck that there is allot of software out there that can expand the newtons abilities but most of the are deadware and the only working versions of the full software is the demo versions. but you still got to love the newton on what it can still do today

11. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

That's actually a very small portion of the Mac stuff I have. I have lots to add, but it is hard with a dead camera and I'm pretty slow at writing articles (I do all the text, photos and PHP code for the site). But hopefully my Canon 40D will be here in the next week or so and I'll resume. The next pages I will be making will most likely be the Messaging Card, Fax Modem Card and my eMate 300. I've done the text for the first two and am just waiting to take photos.

As for the NewtonOS, it's quite shocking when you think about what even the original MessagePad can do and how it took other PDAs years to catch up. Sure the MessagePads are slow by todays standards, but the sheer number of things they are capable of doing is amazing. Everything from printing (which is impressive since most PDAs need a computer to do it), faxing, handwriting recognition that actually works (at least in NOS 2.0 :)) among other things. One day I hope to get a 2x00 series Newton as I have an OMP, 100, 110, 120 and eMate 300 already.

12. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea the MP 2100 i bought is real nice. it will surf the net (newtscape, albit slowly bit it does it) got to love IRC on it (chatbuddy, the time demo just expired), and the wireless card is awesome (thanks for the 3rd party wifi driver) but i dont like the fact that you have to know the SSID of a wifi network before you can use it. no SSID scanning and no signal strength, the development of the driver was stopped before it was implemented.

but all in all the newton is a very capable machine and i enjoy using it. now i just need to get a linear flash card for it. ( there is a ATA driver for it but only the demo version is useable and is limited to 4mb) it would have been nice to get a 1gb CF card to use and never run out of room.

13. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

The only problem is how the Newton OS works. When you insert a card NOS loads all packages into heap memory - similar to Mac OS if it loaded all programs when you put in a DVD or attached a Firewire hard drive. So you'd have to freeze every program on the 1 GB card and only unfreeze a few at a time due to the 4 MB (if I recall correctly) of heap memory on the 2100s.

14. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yea 8mb total (4mb for ram, and 4mb for internal storage and a 8mb rom). it looks like a 24mb linear flash card will have to do then.

15. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

16. Forced Perfect thread starter macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

I finally got the card in the mail. Obviously it doesn't do much (beeps!) But I did take some nice photos of it and I will be adding an article + Newton OS screenshots in the near future.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

Here is the rest of the photos.