Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaronhall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Salt Lake City Utah
Hey guys,

Just trying to get good feedback from some true Apple enthusiasts.

We make bamboo and wood covers and cases exclusively for iPhones, MacBooks, and iPads.

I want to hear all of your feedback about what you think about our products. I am an Apple enthusiast as well, and all we want to do it make a good product that Apple users love. Please, tell me what you think, what we should improve on, and what you would change if you could.

Thank you,
Jaron Hall

photo-main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
We had an Atari console in the '70s which had wood effect. My taste indicates that is where it should stay. But:

The panels on the MBP and iPad look like they will either catch (on sleeves, cases, anything), and therefore be a pain or it will cause the wood panel to get edge damage and/or lift off.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have to say I appreciate that a young man like you is taking on the challenge of starting your own successful business.

Most people your age are playing PS4 in there free time so it's great that you are trying to be successful.

With that attitude, you will be a very rich man.

Unfortunately, the idea of a wood veneer is up against thousands of products competing to get on everyone's iDevice- Look at Amazon.

It's a good idea, but the competition is sooo tight. For example, I bought a Kuzy case off Amazon- cheap, easy to buy with Amazon Prime, and pretty decent quality.

I don't plan on throwing it away for another case even if it is better. Just don't see the need to do that.

That's the only problem here- competition. Otherwise, good product.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
The iPad and MBP cases aren't something I'd personally purchase but I will say the design is really slick. The iPhone case is something I might buy.

Great stuff in any case, well done.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
These are the questions that pop into my mind when I first read this:
We make bamboo and wood covers and cases exclusively for iPhones, MacBooks, and iPads.

1) What's the weight of the covers? Good wood is not light.
2) Heat issue. Will the covers / cases retain heat? I hate charging my devices and have them feeling hot when they have cases on them. Had prior terrible experience.

Great initiative though. I love wood products! :D

jaronhall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Salt Lake City Utah
We had an Atari console in the '70s which had wood effect. My taste indicates that is where it should stay. But:

The panels on the MBP and iPad look like they will either catch (on sleeves, cases, anything), and therefore be a pain or it will cause the wood panel to get edge damage and/or lift off.

Hey! Actually, I've been using the wood covers for months now and there's no way that anything will snag underneath them. The wood veneer is very thin and the adhesive is strong. The wood cover really acts well as an addition to the thinness of the device and you shouldn't have to worry about it ever getting snagged.
You're right though I definitely thought about the same exact thing as we made it.

Thanks!
Jaron

----------

I have to say I appreciate that a young man like you is taking on the challenge of starting your own successful business.

Most people your age are playing PS4 in there free time so it's great that you are trying to be successful.

With that attitude, you will be a very rich man.

Unfortunately, the idea of a wood veneer is up against thousands of products competing to get on everyone's iDevice- Look at Amazon.

It's a good idea, but the competition is sooo tight. For example, I bought a Kuzy case off Amazon- cheap, easy to buy with Amazon Prime, and pretty decent quality.

I don't plan on throwing it away for another case even if it is better. Just don't see the need to do that.

That's the only problem here- competition. Otherwise, good product.

You're absolutely right there is tons of competition out there, but it's also a very big market because everybody has an electronic device.
We're trying to differentiate ourselves from the competition with our wood products.
My philosophy is, people will sleep over night at the Apple store to get the latest gadget. They love them. Apple designs beautiful products and people pay big bucks to get them. But then, they go and cover it with some ugly cheap plastic case, covering up the nice design that they paid for. Cases are necessary because people drop their phone, so I believe they should cover it with something that's actually unique and beautiful just like how Apple makes their devices.
That's just the way I see it :)

Thanks for your comment! You definitely point out a valid fact of what happens when people buy cases.

Jaron Hall

----------

The iPad and MBP cases aren't something I'd personally purchase but I will say the design is really slick. The iPhone case is something I might buy.

Great stuff in any case, well done.

Thank you! We're so glad you like them! :)

-Jaron Hall

----------

These are the questions that pop into my mind when I first read this:

1) What's the weight of the covers? Good wood is not light.
2) Heat issue. Will the covers / cases retain heat? I hate charging my devices and have them feeling hot when they have cases on them. Had prior terrible experience.

Great initiative though. I love wood products! :D

They're actually very light, in most cases about the same weight or lighter than a plastic case. The heaviest wood, yet still light, is our rosewood.
You're right, the iPhone 5 definitely get's really hot while charging or running lots of programs, but when you have a wood case on it I never notice a temperature change it always feels the same. So I would say it doesn't retain heat the same way that a metal or plastic case would.
The MacBook and iPad covers are thin and just go over one side so they don't really change much in terms of temperature.

Thanks for the input!! I'm happy you take interest!

- Jaron Hall

----------

Do you play hockey?

Hahha I do not. What makes you ask? Is it the hair? ;D

-Jaron Hall

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The wood panel isnt actually glued to the macbook? :eek:
If yes? Is it possible to remove/exchange it?

I really like the idea, but the added weight is an issue for most users, since :apple: is light!

jaronhall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
Salt Lake City Utah
The wood panel isnt actually glued to the macbook? :eek:
If yes? Is it possible to remove/exchange it?

I really like the idea, but the added weight is an issue for most users, since :apple: is light!

The veneer wood covers aren't exactly glued, but they use a 3M adhesive and yes they can be removed :)
The wood is very very light and you probably wont even notice much of a difference with all of the devices.

Thanks!
Jaron Hall

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I like the look of the iPhone and iPad cases. Always been a fan of bamboo. Not a fan of the MBP veneer look. Concern on the iPhone case would be thickness and how well headphones plug in. I have had problems with some of my plugs not fitting with a case installed.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
If you could design it so the iPad/iPhone would be able to plug into an aftermarket dock, like an alarm clock that would help sales.

I recently purchased an alarm clock that my phone plugs into, and realized by reading reviews there aren't many devices that work with a case due to the case's thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.