woohoo, google voice now does MMS!!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by spinedoc77, Oct 7, 2014.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

2. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Looks like it can receive MMS.... but still not send. Is that correct?

3. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Oh sweet, it's about time, I have been waiting for this forever. I wish Verizon was on the list. Most people that text me do so with Verizon or AT&T.

I just texted it with my Verizon phone and my AT&T phone and it worked with the AT&T one. My friends who have Sprint have been able to send me MMS for some time now though.

5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Now that this is possible, i'm porting my mobile number to gvoice. I have had this number for 16 years and everyone knows it. Ill just surf from carrier to carrier and just use gvoice/hangouts for all my phone/video and messaging needs.

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I was waiting for the same thing, then my wife went back to Japan last year for 5 months and her phone was still on contract, so I cancelled my line and took my wife's line while she was gone, so I transferred it to GV prematurely hoping it would be right around the corner.

Funny thing is my brother sent me a MMS last week and just asked me why I didn't respond to his text.

Trying to find out if there is a way to reply with MMS, even if it is through email I'd be happy.

7. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Yea, my replies all sent the image link.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

in a world where data is king, why is this so important? Pretty much all plans come with unlimited talk/text. The data is what gets you. What is the major benefit?

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Because people still send mms messages to people, and an American phone number I can use anywhere in the world and still send and receive text messages on the same number and from any computer it's an awesome feature.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

They should just integrate all of the google voice functionality in to hangouts already.... I think they are still missing text, MMS and voicemail from the iOS version (not sure about android)

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

ok that makes sense. If you travel a lot I see that as a huge benefit.

12. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'd like to be able to replay my phone with my ipad mini retina. I might be able to do that with google voice, but I'd like to be able to receive text messages on my number. At least that's how I'm thinking.

13. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The benefit is that it's consistent with your Google voice number. If you give someone your Google voice number, when you MMS them they get your regular carrier number kind of defeating some of the advantage of a GV number.