Woohoo, got the Macbook Pro back to Apple and picked up a Macbook Santa Rosa

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilovemygeek, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

Sooo happy, I really love the Black Book, once I upgrade the Ram I will be all set. Muuuch happier with this display then I was with my Macbook Pro :)

2. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Same here!!! I sold my 1.83 ghz Rev. A MBP for 1400 and turned around and bought a brand spanking new Black MBP and put in 2 gigs. This is way better than what I originally had.

3. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously I went through 3 MBP with yellow screen and for almost 2700 I felt it should be so much better. I can't believe my Macbook was only 1500, I'm so happy with it.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

there are NO black MBPs

and i dont know what you guys are on, but the MBP screen is 1000 times better than the macbook screen...

5. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

I'm sure you could have used to context clues to see that I was talkin about the black MB. But thank you for pointing out my flaws. Yeah....I bought a Macbook.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

:D:D any time;)

7. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I beg to differ on the screens too. I had awful backlight bleed, uneven, yellow tint, and dead pixels out of the box. I'm happier with the Macbook. I doubt I'll revist the pro until they fix the screens to the white LED

8. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I agree. The LED illuminated screen on my MBP is probably the the best portable screen I have seen, even when compared to the recent SR Macbooks.

But then, this is my personal opinion, which may differ from individual to individual.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont think you can have backlight bleed with LED...im prolly wrong though...however i have a beautiful perfect samsung LED display on my MBP and i would NEVER use another type of LCD on a laptop again, simply knowing that its going to stay this bright and beautiful until the day it died is a great feeling

10. Johnner1999 macrumors member

how do (did) you two use your MBP (MB)?

I'm thinking about doing the same, well sort of. I just returned a new 2.2 MBP to amazon that I ordered prior to the new MB SR. I never unboxed it, so no restocking fee I hope.

I'd really like to have that ultra fast 8600GT video chip and that cool aluminum case. BUT I'd rather have $500 in my pocket with a larger hard drive to boot. Plus the smaller screen might be better from a portable function.

How I use my macs (I do have a 20" iMac 2.4)

- video editing via iMovie (in HD via my Canon HD-MINIDV) mostly just family stuff and events.

- keynote - for my work (I'm a trainer) and use it as much as I can as I work in a NON mac company :mad: the extra screen size and res from the MBP might be nice???

- pages - again for work and personal things

- web surfing and creation

- bootcamp with Vista / since I do work in a windows world and sell it I need to be able to train on it and understand it :confused:

- parallels - Linux (same as above)

- since I'll have Vista :cool: I'd play some newer FPS games (this is where the MBP would be good I assume --- how "bad" is the x3100?

If I was to go with the MB it would most likely be the BlackBook with 2GB

I guess thats it :)

thanks for your time

11. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I do web-design, graphic design. I'm going to run Adobe suite off of mine.

12. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad you got a good Samsung, the one I got was pretty disapointing, not only b/c of the gradient to the bottom but there was a bright blue spot where a pixel on the red burned out. I just felt for the money the screen wasn't that great. On a side note, there was something about the keyboard that I didn't much care for as well. The first one MBP I had had a white spot in the upper corner uneven lighting and a band along with yellow. I really just didn't want to keep playing the MBP lottery till I got a good one. Besides me and the husband own 5 or 6 computers and 4 ipods so its not like my computer is a lifelong commitment for the money I won't mind upgrading it in a couple of years.

13. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Well, uh video editing will run MUCH faster on the MBP. GPU helps a lot. And Vista will run a lot smoother if you like eye candy. And gaming on the MB??? I don't know if you could do much more the low settings. Definitely not any newer games. Although Intel says that chip is a lot better for it. Doubt it.

14. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tested gaming on here yet. To be honest since Half Life Two isn't Mac friendly I do most my gaming on my gaming tower or I'll do it on my PSP...

15. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

For those of you that have great MBP screens, sincere congratulations---but I totally understand what the OP is saying. I've been through 11 MacBook Pros for too many issues to list out here yet again, but only the one I have now (17" standard def 2.4 SR) and the high-resolution 17" SR I had before it (which was returned for other serious problems) have had screens anywhere near acceptable for the price point of the computer. That includes the 15" LED screens I had, all of which exhibited either a yellow cast or an unacceptable amount of backlight bleed.

I own this 17" MBP and I also own a black MacBook. And while I prefer the MBP for various reasons, I really have to say that the regular MB is a far, far better value for the money. I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have only 13.3 diagonal inches of screen real estate.

16. fireworkz macrumors newbie

Are you referring to the new MacBook or the Mac Book Pro.. if the latter - how do you find the screen size i.e. 13inch (or so) for web design etc.. interesting to know :)

17. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Thus far, I have no issues with the screen size. For massive jobs where I have multiple layouts open, I can always hook it up to my 22 Dell Monitor, but the Macbook is working as a replacement for a Power PC Mac Mini so in comparison I'm very happy. Plus I feel its more portable so I can take work with me, the MBP to me felt more like a desktop replacement. I know they weigh about the same but for someone like me who isn't very big the 15inch seemed like a total PITA to drag around. The Macbook is also running cooler and I don't get the electric zaps I got from the Pro. My husband has an older Macbook that has I think 1.8ghz and he codes and does CS3 with no problems (though he did upgrade the hardrive and ram). Plus I like that the Macbook is easier to upgrade myself.

18. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

There's alot going for the MB, it's a great value forsure.
    However, I can't stand glossy displays... And I'm not
    wild about that keyboard.

The best thing going for the MB is the user serviceable HDD,
    I sure wish they would bring that to the MBP. That and
    eSATA ports.

My Samsung LED backlight MBP is pretty good, but not great.
    Samsung has developed a true white backlight LED which
    will become available in a 15.4" display 2nd half of 2008.
    So I look towards MWSF '09 for my next update, better displays
    4 core processor, and blueray. WOOT!

I'm glad the OP is happy with her MB. Enjoy!

19. island macrumors 6502

island

Yeah I do agree, coming from a SR 2.4 MBP to a 2.2 Blackbook the screen looks a lot better. I might of had a dud screen but I can definitely see a difference. Now when I hook up to my 23" ACD, that takes the cake!

20. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

21. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

People turning in a MBP for a MacBook? I would imagine by the very nature of having the backlit keyboard, the LED screen, the faster processor and the way better video card that it would be worth the extra cash to get the MBP if you had the extra cash. I went with the MacBook because I wanted a good Mac portable computer and couldn't afford a MacBook Pro. Now for me the MacBook does everything I need and does plenty I will probably never need but if I could have gotten the MBP in the first place I wouldn't see myself turning around and choosing a MB instead.

22. brettanderson macrumors member

My SR MBP screen is significantly better then the MB screen, it's not even close . A flawless MBP screen is superior in every facet, I would rate it a 9/10 and the MB would be 7/10 .

23. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

Ah but see the problem lies in the "perfect" screen. Mine was a 2.4 with the 7200rpm and 160G hardrive and a matte screen. After going through 2 of them, they updated the hardrives BTO options which weren't shipping for another 3 weeks, so for them to replace it, I would have to have waited nearly 4 weeks to "maybe" get a perfect MBP and if that wasn't working it will be wash, rinse, and repeat. Plus with Macworld in January...worse case scenario some super updates machine comes out in January, I wait 10 months for it to work through the launch issues and in the meantime have a Macbook that is only .2ghz slower then my MBP, can hold the same RAM, and has a hardrive that I can swap out without taking apart the keyboard. I have a ton of business trips coming up and I feel the Macbook is a sweet little machine. It IS 1100 dollars less then my pro but all that means to me is I have some extra cash for hardrives, Ram, and updating my version of Adobe suite. Besides, my husband is in the I.T industry and has had about 5 laptops in the past couple of years and out of all of them, he loves the Macbook the best, it changed my Uber Linux and XP using man to a OSX one, so that alone makes me think I'll be ok without a MBP.

24. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Well, I sent my *replacement* laptop back yesterday and an order for a second replacement (i.e. third laptop within 2 weeks) was placed immediately.

I woke up with a sinister feeling that the third laptop would also be a lemon so I called Apple Customer Service (excellent, as opposed to Apple Quality Control), and cancelled the order for a full refund.

Disappointed but safe.

25. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

The MBP screen is not better then the macbook......i have had both