Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
29368 songs, 92.7 days, 197.49 GB

But I will be adding more of the Steven King - Dark Tower Series audio books this weekend. Will probably be over 30000 songs / 200 GB by the end of the day.

- Doc

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
howard said:
out of curiosity, how many songs is that?

i have 14.24gigs
2937 songs

4142, 379 albums

But many of them are long pieces: 1hr ambient tracks, piano improvisations etc.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
Question: can iTunes import from more than one drive at once? On my PC i have two... so if I could import there and then transfer to PowerBook... :rolleyes: or something like that. Also, plenty of people here have dual drives on their Macs. Seems like something that would be nice to have there.

from what i gather this is not possible for the simple reason that encoding songs does take a fair chunk of processing power and i dont think that the proccessor would be able to handle it. not to mention the fact that i doubt iTunes has the capabilities to sending commands such as that to the processor

you could give it a try though if you wanted.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
from what i gather this is not possible for the simple reason that encoding songs does take a fair chunk of processing power and i dont think that the proccessor would be able to handle it. not to mention the fact that i doubt iTunes has the capabilities to sending commands such as that to the processor

you could give it a try though if you wanted.

I'm fairly certain this is possible actually. I remember back in the days when I was sharing a flat in Camden with a buddy and we discovered the iPod in late 2001 or whenever they were announced. We woke up to the possibilties of ripping all our music in preparation for the joyous day of owning iPods (yes, I admit after having curled my lip at a party when the Swedish host showed me his Windows Media collection on his PC... pah!).

Having well over a thousand CDs we set up a virtual ripping factory to get through them all! I tried loads of things - making disk images, multiple drives etc. Ahh, those were the days :)

Edit: forgot to say, I broke through the 10000 song barrier today. It's mostly 192Kbps MP3 and AAC and weighs in at about 50GB.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
D0ct0rteeth said:
29368 songs, 92.7 days, 197.49 GB

But I will be adding more of the Steven King - Dark Tower Series audio books this weekend. Will probably be over 30000 songs / 200 GB by the end of the day.

- Doc

how many of those are audio books as opposed to songs?

also, how long is the average audio book?

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
howard said:
how many of those are audio books as opposed to songs?

also, how long is the average audio book?

Audiobooks: 3486 songs, 9.7 days, 32.59 GB

the avg audiobook is probably around 200 songs / 1.3 GB.. but they can really balloon up there depending on the author.. Bill Clinton - My Life is 915 songs - 9.54 GB

- Doc

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
hey man

napster 10000 songs = 15/month

iPod 10000 songs = $10000

just kidding.

2796 songs, 8.5 days, 12.87GB

thats almost $3000 worth of music! :D

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
Chip NoVaMac said:
Not sure for my ears that I would see a difference, but have been tempted. :)

from 224 and above, you won't tell a difference unless you've got REAL (aka >$200 headphones), and even then, its a toss up. Anyone who says differently doesn't *really* know what they're talking about. Using the apple earbuds? not a chance.

You're only as good as your weakest link, and in this case, it'd be the headphone amp in the iPod. Yeah, its good, but its not high-end audiophile good.

Run a 224 and a lossless through a full protools setup including a pair of good studio near-field monitors in an acoustically treated control room. You *may* be able to tell a difference if you A/B them.

Doubtful that your average-Best-Buy-shopper-turned-self-proclaimed-audiophile will be able to tell.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
69.7gb / 11935 songs on my itunes server shared between all the comps in the house. Some lossless mainly my audiophile tracks for my proper hifi

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
May I suggest that everyone back up their songs if they havent done so already. When I upgraded to Tiger the computer wouldnt let me log in so I had to do a archive and install, I stupidly trashed the archive, and iPodRip didnt work as planned. Luckily I had backed up a while back so I was able to save ~1000 songs from my 1260. Just was a bit ticked that I had lost all my Zeppelin.

But currently im at 1243 songs, 3.5 days, 5.59GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.