woohoo - my iMAC arrived

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TayHarley, Aug 6, 2008.

1. TayHarley macrumors member

TayHarley

sorry can't stop grinning, my refurbished iMAC 24" arrived yesterday pm. Faaaaantstic !!!! Saved £200+ by buying refurb in the UK Store - woohoo !!

Big thanks to all the folks providing info pre-purchase, I'm now getting to grips with the Mac alu keyboard (excellent) and trying to amend my typing to accommodate cmd and ctrl keys !!

For anyone else thinking about making the switch - don't wait, Windows PCs are crap by comparison, in less that 24 hrs I've removed about seven layers of work stress and will never go back to windozz :D

Spent last night and this morning 'exploring' - if you are still in two minds .... when was the last time you saw a PC playing a Bladerunner DVD, messing with a bit of video, sooking in 10 GB of photos, downloading some updates and generally having everything opened and then closed by a madly clicking newbie?

'n ALL at the same time and not crashing the machine !!??

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The forum needs a new smiley for those of us who make the leap.

Now I need to update my signature - iPhone ordered and a Macbook's next !!!

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Welcome to the Brotherhood!:D

Very very glad to know that you're loving you're Mac experience! This is just the beginning!

Any problems/thoughts just let us know and we'll try our best!:)

P.S.: Fill up your stack and try clicking on it with the 'shift' key pressed! You may use this 'slow-motion' for all actions except QuickLook!:D

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Congrats on your new purchase. Glad you love your iMac...Your enthusiasm is infectious :D

4. jroller macrumors regular

Congratulations and Welcome to the Mac! Now you know why the Mac user's unofficial motto seems to be: It Just Works.

5. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Welcome and congratulations! I switched in 2006 and it's been better than I imagined.

May your iMac serve you well.

6. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Welcome to our little cult of Mac. Its good to hear someone who just honestly appreciates their computer, instead of whining about little things that are different.

7. condor macrumors member

Congrats! You should update your signature with your new baby. Have fun and welcome to the club!

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Congrats on your new iMac!

Check out the iStat Pro widget. It's a great way to monitor your system. Also, it has a counter for how long your Mac has been on. It still makes me happy to see 20+ days of uptime without having to restart :D

9. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

10. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

Welcome to the club! I have never regretted the switch. :D:cool:

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

congrats! i'm on my second Mac this year lol, I bought a black macbook in april and liked it so much that i bought an iMac in July.. so now i am completely a convert (well except i still have to use windows at work)

I'll be honest with you though i dont have anything against windows and I never really had terrible problems, except for the bloating and slowing down of systems, a few crashes here and there, spyware etc. but nothing really major that would make me say "i hate windows"

but that being said i love macs alot better now that i discovered them, I love the hardware's design, and i love the operating system. and how everything works so nicely together. I used bootcamp to install windows on my iMac but havent used it since i installed it.

Congrats! and welcome aboard :D

12. TayHarley thread starter macrumors member

TayHarley

thx for all the welcomes - still grinning.

all data now sooked from various sources onto the iMAC, iWork installed, Parallels installed, Mail set up, ten new CDs sooked into iTunes and iTunes account updated, MobileMe account established and iTouch hooked into MobileMe ... and that was just yesterday morning !!! :D

still no grips - as you say 'It just works' although some minor adaptations required

i. changed Ctrl +< to stop me shifting spaces when I want to jump words
    ii. cut off middle finder to stop me trying to right click
    iii. time management required as i) just sitting looking at the iMAC; and ii) losing time figuring out 'the Mac way' - I never rtfm.

no problems, just learning challenges, like figuring out how to quickly remove spelling errors without a right click !

another happy day awaits !

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is how I was when I got my first one in march. I was amazed the multitasking I could do and the speed in which it could be done. You never know how much better it truly is till you switch over. (Dont get me wrong, I love windows, but only because its problems keep me employed :) )

14. tri3limited macrumors 6502

If you goto system settings and then the mouse section, you can turn ON right click. Then to right click all you do is keep your fingers on both the left and right sides of the mouse. Nice and simple!