Woohoo! My Mac Pro is here.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by capitanbuzo, Sep 8, 2009.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Finally, after getting screwed over by the labor day weekend and missing delivery by 30 minutes, my Mac Pro Quad has arrived. Just had to get the excitement out of me. Lets hope I won't have any migration, video, or SL not included issues.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Will post pictures in a bit. Camera batteries died on me so I can only use my iPhone for photos.

It's just a base 2.66 Quad at the moment. Plans are for 6-8GB of RAM (any suggestions for 6 or 8?), adding two 1TB WD Black drives and a 2TB drive for Time Machine, and adding a GTX 285. It's going to be a work in progress.

4. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Down to my iPhone now. Migration assistant is giving me 1 hour 22 minutes to transfer 82GB of info from my MBP to my MP. Then I will need to transfer another 200 GB of data from my external til I can update to SL. Looks like I am not gonna have the same issues with video as my MBP did though. I have my Acer H233H monitor hooked up via and HDMI cable to my MP and it seems to be running at full resolution. Downside is as I am writing this post, the time has gone up to 1 hour 32 minutes to transfer my data. I'll see if I can post some photos.

Edit: Here are some photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Another question, as I am migrating everything from my MBP over (42 mins left), will I need to reinstall iLife 2009 as it is 2008 on my MBP?

7. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, looks like this HDMI cable isn't going to work. VGA is showing 1920x1080 versus 1920x1080 (interlaced). Guess i'm going to have to buy a DVI cable tomorrow.

8. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright, Still need to figure out this iTunes problem. All my videos were stored on an external. Is there a way I can import the videos while keeping the playlists? Right now, I have the playlists but the videos only play off the external and if the external is not plugged in, it shows up as missing.

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to move them all to one Library with all your other iTunes media? If so, I'm pretty sure you can just change the location of your library under preferences > advanced. Then consolidate your library under file > library. But, I may be misunderstanding your question.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you open iTunes, hold Option before you double-click on the iTunes icon (in the Applications folder, not the dock). Then it should ask you to choose a library on which you choose the one on the external.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's the excitement.

12. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

13. remmy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations

Will be good to see it set up proper

14. matthewtoney macrumors regular

matthewtoney

My New Mac

Hey, I have a new shiny one too - I didn't realize we were expected to post pics. :)

Here's my specs and pics:

2009 Quad - 2.66
    12GB RAM
    1 640GB, (3) 1TB in RAID0, 1TB External Firewire, 500GB External Firewire
    XFX 1GB ATI 4870
    Geforce GT120

[​IMG]

different angle gets the TV :)

[​IMG]

15. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes

16. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh so that's what that little consolidate library option does. We'll just call this a my bad...

It was just set up like that as I had a short Ethernet cable to transfer my data. I still need to rework a cable but otherwise it is looking good now.

17. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Maybe you guys should take a look at this thread before I sell off the second CPU. ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=780300

Not trying to push anything, but I would rather someone on this forum get it...

Nice setup, congrats!

Very nice.