Woohoo, New Mac Pro here!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by podvisual, Feb 7, 2008.

1. podvisual macrumors newbie

Well after waiting all day or the UPS guy to come yesterday he finally shows up at 6:00 with my computer. Delivery guy was pretty funny. He gets off the truck and says hello. Then starts lifting my computer off 1 handed! I jump over as he realizes the full weight of the thing and help him before he dropped it. He couldn't believe that a computer was so big and heavy.

Anyways, I digress...

New machine is sick. I went with the default configuration. It was on sale when I bought it so adding the 8800 card would have been $300 extra so I figured waiting and spending an additional $50 bucks once they are available wouldn't be the end of the world.

Stock config plus...

- 2 gb of 667mhz ram (waiting for trade in of old machine to be complete to add more)

- swapped the stock HD with a 500gb 7200.11 drive (proper firmware) for the OS/apps.

- 3 320 gb 7200.10 drives in a RAID 0 configuration for my edited photos (lightroom library's too)

- 4 and 2 port ESATA cards to my external enclosures (handles my nightly backups of the system)

I ran some benchmarks last night and am pretty happy. Geekbench scored me at 7898 (and thats with 2 gb of 667 mhz ram installed...). My old Mac Pro 2.0 scored 4013 yesterday morning.

Handbrake showed a huge improvement, cut my encoding time in 1/2 (and doubled my FPS).

Overall I'm satisfied. So far no weirdness, or lockups. I've yet to sleep the computer so I don't know if its got the reboot issue or not. Looking forward to really testing this thing out here soon... and 10.5.2...

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Congrats on the new machine! I can't wait to get one!

How much ram are you planning on getting, total?

3. ewxlt macrumors regular

4. Beardy man macrumors regular

I take it this is an Americanism for "good"? Or is there a problem with your new machine?

If you don't play properly with the language we gave you, Her Majesty will take it back

Oooh, walking a tightrope here? :D

Glad your machine is in excellent operating condition! Enjoy it. I won't be getting mine for a week or two yet if HD500 delay rumours are true :mad:

5. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Yeah, 16 is the max.

--Erwin

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

congrats, should be ordering mine tomorrow morning!

7. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

dont you mean 32gb?

Mine came with 2gb i ordered another 4gb and before thats even arrived ive gone and ordered another 4gb :D

8. podvisual thread starter macrumors newbie

32 GB max Ram

I will probably upgrade to 8gb (8x1gb) by the time its all said and done.

And sorry for the bad english, by sick I meant awesome.

9. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Yikes, you're right! I must've been confused with Vista! :eek:

--Erwin

10. Eauboy macrumors regular

Eauboy

I think it's American for "wicked", or possibly "brill", if anyone even says that any more.

11. deathshrub macrumors 6502

If you bought the early 2008 Mac Pro the memory is 800 MHz. Your memory will run slower if you purchase 667 MHz ram and stick it in your machine, so don't do that. :p